• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

CAN BUY LAPTOP AT COSTCO SUPER PRICE BUT HAS WIN 11 64 BIT

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

Nope. It's my understanding that Windows 11 supports x64 CPUs only. It will support 32 bit programs if that's your concern. It was initially thought that you could choose 32bit when doing a fresh install, but now it appears no.
The only reason I could think you would absolutely run 32bit O/S is to support DOS programs. If that's the case, Windows 7 VM would be a much better solution.
Installing a 32bit will impose a lot of restrictions on your system including Max RAM installed and HD size not to mention some program and driver compatibility.

Nope. It's my understanding that Windows 11 supports x64 CPUs only. It will support 32 bit programs if that's your concern. It was initially thought that you could choose 32bit when doing a fresh install, but now it appears no.
The only reason I could think you would absolutely run 32bit O/S is to support DOS programs. If that's the case, Windows 7 VM would be a much better solution.
Installing a 32bit will impose a lot of restrictions on your system including Max RAM installed and HD size not to mention some program and driver compatibility.
thanks or info i did lots of search about win 11 and read all about the backward compat with 32bit programs--being old i still enjoy win 7 ult on present laptop connected to smart tv.
i disliked win 10 when it seemed msft wanted to be nosey about everything you do so when i bought recent one with 10 i asked dell to replace win win 7 and they did--not an option now...only reason am looking is current has been running 24/7 for over 2 years now and gets sticky after watching too many videos or on facebook for a while--something slows it down and i reboot to clear cache files--seems to work but don't want to get caught with pants down attaching costco ad for your info looks like a super deal

Uggh Touch screen. At least the RAM is upgradable should you desire although 16gb should be enough. Anyway you are running a bunch of video via your browser. Here's the deal with video, your system gets one streaming file. Now that it has the file it needs to split it into audio and video as each one needs to be processed. Processing is no easy step it needs to be processed through a codec with restores it to uncompressed native windows media format.. Now keep in mind that's two separate processes that occur simultaneously, both eating up CPU cycles and RAM/disk space.
Now here's where it gets tricky, the original file has "key frames" (hopefully) that allow the audio video to resync properly. To oversimplify it, the more movement in the video, the harder it is to decode and that takes time. Meanwhile the audio decoding time is pretty uniform so what is your system to do? It spools off the audio and waits for the corresponding video frames to reconnect and display. That can use a butt-load of space.
Now here's where your problem is. Your browser generally is the program that is running the video show and it can build some huge buffer files after running a bunch of online video.
Usually if you open the task manager and cease all instances of your browser, all those buffers are dumped. When you restart your browser, all the buffers are empty and you won't see the slowness you are experiencing.
That's a pretty good price for that system and Dell has some pretty good support. One word of advice, only update your video drivers at Dell's site, forget Windows update and always avoid those one size fits all driver update programs. They are both notorious for messing up touch screen display systems.
If it's any consolation I am posting from a Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro with a touch screen I never use. It was a rescue off a recycle pile from work and cost me nothing
I should add if you look though this board, there are a few posts with tips to alter the Win 11 desktop to more your likings if you find Win 11 desktop is not working for you.

thanks again--didn't mention what i watch mostly are files i have previously downloaded and are in either mp4-avi etc or mkv i use vlc to watch videos but have been using a browser from AVG which shows up everywhere as chrome ??? it has been fine until recently like it woldnt let my order to costco go through i had to load firefox which i don't trust to submit my order--i agree about the browser when on facebook watching those cute videos about animals etc that is probably what slows things down--i don't trust or like the new edge-firefox or chrome--any suggestions of a solid safe browser?? appreciated and yes will be reading all the threads about win 11--i'm stuck on XP-to Win 7 LOL--have been following all the msft exploits----FYI my good friend in germanys wife just retired from msft worldwide rep--doesn't speak english as well as husband or i would skype with her with questions. finally buying this for the future but have super wifi using fios powered coax extender so will be doing alot of getting used to win 11 before using it with smart tv--got tired of live TV couple years ago and use laptop/smart TV connection exclusively. thanks again so much for your input very much appreciated... the hdmi cable was the decision maker on laptop plus hard drive and memory oh yes price too LOL

Well if you are looking for the most secure friendly browser available Brave is generally considered the best. You really need to let go of XP, 7 and 32 bit. They are all dinosaurs and to continue using them is a real security risk.
Personally I use Chrome with some security add-ons, I doubt I would use Chrome without those but they are kind of a nuisance too.
Anyway for what you described that system will do fine.

I too stick to Win 7 but lately more sites like my banking and Amazon are seemingly "slow" to load, or I need to retry F5 page load. Looks like they want to force us to coded-in-Israel Windoze i11uminati Twin Towers 11. "Safer?!" It's all backdoored down to the motherboards.
Just as Lockheed and the MI complex "allows" high tech to fall into enemy hands (Israel steals it all, sells to China and Russia) so they can beg for more $$$ to get new contracts to overcome "the threat," so too the anti-virus firms create and salt malware out there to increase business.
We may complain about Wall St but the biggest investors are the US Govm'nt pension funds, and please let's not ask how and why it is that Wastebook is taken over by City of London Privy Council Pilgrim's Society crowd; why SERCO Brit Crown company gets all the contracts for US military, and why SERCO runs our US Patent Office, (what? we can't find talent in US?) and rips off patents under excuse of "national security," which means inventors get nothing.
do you understand that Michael McKibben and his firm invented the software that the social media internet runs on, but it was ripped off by top level govmn't lawyers connected to Killary and the intellectual property rip-off crowd?
Do a little search like at Aim4truth.
Security? We enjoy our play in the sandbox while they build the Smart Cities around you for your VR life!!
So as part of the "rebel against the Empire" Game, .... I'll keep trying to make Win 7 workaround.
Don't get caught in the crosshairs. :cool:

I am really confused why it is assumed that newer versions of Windows have improved security features or updates? Windows has never been secure and still is not.

Windows 11 is a little bit better than Windows 10 so if you want the laptop then buy it. For me I'm still back at Server 2012/XP when I use Windows.

Back