• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Code 56 loss of connection to all internet services.

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

Diguelo

Feb 1, 2023
Hi recently I had a slam on the brakes, all the internet links on my Desktop machine stopped dead on 17th December. Funnily enough, the router I had from Virgin Media (UK Company also decided to die and killed my entire home network. Even Amazon Alexa and wifi just turned off.
Checking the error codes I come across a Critical hit on the Intel LAN and a "Code 56 connection setup in progress" this was happening on LAN, WAN, Bluetooth dongle, And I even went out and bought a wifi card.
Specs
Intel i7 Skylake (2015)
Asus z170-A MB
GTX 980 x 2
DDR4 2133MHz 32GB

Its worked perfectly for 7 years hasnt even had a BSOD worth talkiing about in that time and this immediate shutdown and subsequent error of my entire net router and wifi is beyond me.

I got Virgin out to fix the router, they tried a reset after I had done it I obviously dont know what a paper clip through a pin sized hole on the router does. Tried to tell me it was fixed, told them I was going elsewhere then out comes a brand new router sir this one may be faulty. After an hour niether me nor this tech wiz could get the desktop to work on the net.
The fixes I found online once the net was running and my trusty Win 7 machine still worked fine. All the fixes basicly destroy the windows 10 installation and reinstall it either by restore system or by wipe the drive and start again. All the uninstall of drivers and clean reinstall of the entire set inc library setups of older drivers didnt work.

Big fix bought a new motherboard processor M.2 and give the whole thing to the cupboard. I have data on the drive for a multi network program I was building and some of the components would get wiped.

Anyone have a fix for this code 56 problem. Im thinking the cause initially must have been a power spike that took the router out and closed out the wifi. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Not pretty Bro. By any chance was there a VPN installed on your system? Those things can wreck havoc on your system sometimes and there is no coming back from it. Keep in mind most branded VPN clients are not authored by rocket scientists. They start with a couple to a few open source generic frameworks and apply their own GUI to them. Though lack of thorough testing mostly, the GUI's can mess things up rather badly, I have been a victim once or twice. That's the only thing I can think of off the top of my head. Something has screwed you comp's ability to successfully configure a Winsock. My solution would be to bitch like crazy to the VPN provider and unfortunately a reload/refresh if you have or had installed a VPN. Otherwise, no help from me.
Since you brought up another subject I would like to mention to everyone here:
DON'T EVER, EVER HIT THE RESET BUTTON ON SWITCHES, ROUTERS OR MODEMS! unless you know exactly what you are doing or have been instructed by your ISP, network admin or the hardware manufacturer. That reset button clears out ALL the settings specific to your network and return it to factory defaults. Unless you are fully aware of how to provision that hardware to your network specifications, you are shite out of luck, period. No coming back from that one. I have seen it done hundreds of times. End users see that reset button and think it's there to fix the problem. Nope, don't touch it if you intend to get back into your network.

As for knowing what im doing, I hit the reset after id tried every other thing I could, but the TV Amazon Fire cube was doing its Kitt impression and didnt work. As that was on a lan and wifi it kind of drew the router as dead.
VPN, never use one, Ive got Anti Virus and Firewall, its enough security for me.
Ive had a lot of reading done these last two weeks to get an answer to it all without destroying the network setup I had on it. Virgin have tested the router at their own workshop and confirmed its dea and they are stumping up 50% toward a new Motherboard. I cant for the life of me figure out why it died and nothing network wise works, cant make a new network connection wont auto sense the net once it was back on.
New Pc is running fine with Windows attempting daily updates I mean...... so all is good.
Any non destructive suggestions would be good please.

Back