• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Customizable Laptop

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

Looks interesting. Having been pulling all brands of laptops apart for many, many years three things immediately stick out.
The case separates into two logical pieces, I wish they all did.
The frame for the LCD looks like it was meant to be serviced. Having had to peel apart the frames many a cracked screen (or replace the inverter, remember those?) those were a puzzle to figure out at best.
Connectors. They really didn't highlight it in the video but these are a f'ing nightmare. You get better with them the more you work with them but they suck. Didn't really see what they had on that system.
Looks like it might have a pretty big price tag, most of those things that make working on a laptop a pain are there to save costs. I still wouldn't go diving into even these without a great deal of caution until you know your way around.
Good idea and a great way to learn.

Normally I would add this as an edit but this is worth a new post.
I was able to read a 3rd party review. I think I have a far better perspective of this system now.
The reality is once you get it apart (more on that later) it pretty much looks like a lot of high end commercial laptops. I guess that's where the voodoos starts with an average laptop. I carry around a satchel full of specialized tools just to open many laptops and other electronic devices.
The Framework opens up easily for service, which is quite unique these days. Once inside it looks like any high quality commercial grade Windows style laptop. It's probably a great way to train for laptop service. It's not going to help with tablets or MacBook but neither are really meant to be serviced. Both of these require a big set of specialized tools and the skills of a surgeon.
I am waiting to see a price tag for these but my guess it's not cheap. So it's a great learning tool, it adds an entirely new dimension of customizing a laptop. My guess it's going to be envisioned as an expensive toy but it should build a following. So this summer we should see where the Framework is heading.

Yeah, still a lot of questions about this thing. As you said the price is probably going to be in the 1k - 2k range, about the same as others, I'm guessing. Not much info on it yet. We'll have to wait and see. No way it's going to compete on weight and dimensions but that would be worth it for ease of access and ability to upgrade/repair. Here's a video of a look at it from a repair perspective (nothing you can't see at their website):

This is pretty cool, customization of PC and laptops is always my favorite activity. I have a customized PC & I have built that with a 16GB Graphic Card, Dual LCD Display, Octa-Core processor, Bluetooth Headphone & Speakers from Soul Nation Promo Codes. I am also looking for suggestions for further improvements.

Wow .... what was old Is now new again!
I thought the days of adapter cards had died out long ago when all the laptop manufacturers dumped the pci adapter cards and interface. Now with the USB 3.2 interface and a proprietary adapter you can have a Swiss Army knife again. All with no fancy dongles.
Good concept but it is still limited somewhat in by the manufacturers selection of components available. The case reminds me of a MacPro as far as materials and construction. I believe that this is going to be fairly expensive for something that you can upgrade in a limited sense later. Performance is another thing to look into as well.
The sad truth is that there is no laptop made that will complete with a desktop of similar quality components and hardware. Too many compromises are made in the necessity of weight, size and power consumption considerations. Don’t get me wrong... hell I have Eurocom X9 and it is a beast! Yeah, it’s expensive as hell, weighs a ton(13 lbs + the 4lb charger) and it will outperform a lot of desktop systems , but it is still a compromise. It really is like a portable desktop PC not a laptop. It would cook your legs and cut the circulation off in them as well if you used it on you lap!
I’m certain that this does have it’s place in a niche market (Just as eurocom) but if it’s too much money then it will not be that popular.
Just gotta ask yourself “ How often do I really want to get inside of this thing?”
That will give you the determining answer if it’s worth it.

I have a Dell Precision 7730 i7-8850H. Yup it weighs a ton, it could never live on a lap. The power supply weighs more than some of my laptops. It is a beast though. I don't game but it's great for CAD and video editing.
I like the fact that it sits in a zippered case in my house and I have tremendous computing power I can take anywhere.
The main drawbacks are it struggles to keep cool and battery power is an afterthought. It didn't cost me a dime I pulled it off a load being recycled. The costs of a system like this is nutty compared to a tower you can build that's as least as powerful.
I do see this system building a small niche market but I doubt it will compete with the audience that purchases the costly high end portables.

$750 on up base model. I tear these things apart all day long and they look pretty conventional with the exception you can probably separate the base from the guts fairly easily. Probably a great way to learn about laptop insides.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kind of disappointing that it's not very "customizable" after all. Only 3 CPU choices, no graphics options at all, no battery choice other than their 55Wh, and no display options. :( I don't see any option for storage other than nvme. No sata port? Sure you get to pick 4 jacks to pop in and out, that's nice I guess, but I don't know if that qualifies as "customizable". Price isn't great for what their offering under the hood either. Oh well, I'll keep an eye on them and see if they have any better offerings in the future, like maybe a customizable laptop.

Back