• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Different configurations of Dell XPS 15 9500 (2020)

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

Which one would be better?

• Dell XPS 15 2020 with Intel Core i5

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Razer Blade 15 2020 Base Model

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

XDD

Jun 16, 2020
Hello!

I am planing to buy a Dell XPS 15 9500 or a Razer Blade 15 2020 Base Model and I am not sure which configuration would be better for me.

Dell has a 10th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-10300H with Intel® UHD Graphics for $1,299.99 and 10th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-10750H with NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1650 Ti 4GB GDDR6 for $1,749.99. Both has 8GB DDR4-2933MHz, 2x4G and 256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid State Drive (upgradeable).

I occasionally play different games and edit photos (No video editing). I Use CorelDraw 2020 quiet often. Apps I use everyday include Adobe Acrobat DC, Microsoft Office, Google Chrome, IDM, Nord VPN etc. Also I plan on installing Linux on VM when I get the new laptop.

Do you think i7 and GTX 1650 Ti would make any deference for me? If so I would rather buy a Razer Blade 15 2020 Base Model since it has a healthy dose of ports instead of just USB-C like the Dell XPS 15.

Well here's my take. I currently own a couple three of XPS laptops. Two are about 3 years old. One's a 13" and the other two are 15.6" one's maybe 5, the other 3 all are i7 RAM is maxxed for all systems and SSDs.
The cases are very similar looking to the MacBook Pro and MacBook Air I own. As far a performance they are pretty good. I think Dell made some performance concessions in favor of cosmetics. Don't get me wrong they are really attractive laptops, perhaps the best looking Windows based laptops. They tend to run a bit warm but remember these are not gaming/performance platforms. You get a sexy keyboard, mine are backlit, a beautiful screen topped of with Gorilla glass, all wrapped in an apple-esque aluminum alloy case. It's a premium laptop a stunner something to show off in the conference room or at a friends house. Not a killer performer, can get the job done well. They do get warm if you do some really CPU intensive work such a video recoding but no task you mention demands huge resources. Dell laptop are my choice. Over the decades I have serviced laptops Dells are far more durable than any other brand.
I did check some reviews about Razer and it is a hot rod. So do you want a Mercedes or a Porsche? Each has it's features. I am very happy with all my XPS systems. I'll stick with towers when I need flat out performance.

NOTE: I think I need to start trimming my collection here, I forgot about one of my laptops.

Hello there,

It really depends of how much and what type of gaming you are doing. If you do plenty and want to play new titles, it is better to go with the GeForce plan. The i5 or i7 isn't that big of a deal to consider.

The thing that considers me though is the RAM, you are mentioning virtualization and i believe that 8GB isn't going to help you much if you wanna run VMs. And if you want to run VMs, Hyper-V is amazing and highly recommended, so you may need a Windows 10 Pro or better license.

As DVDR_Dog said, Dell XPS laptops have very good reputation.

Hope it helps

Reactions: XDD
Well here's my take. I currently own a couple three of XPS laptops. Two are about 3 years old. One's a 13" and the other two are 15.6" one's maybe 5, the other 3 all are i7 RAM is maxxed for all systems and SSDs.
The cases are very similar looking to the MacBook Pro and MacBook Air I own. As far a performance they are pretty good. I think Dell made some performance concessions in favor of cosmetics. Don't get me wrong they are really attractive laptops, perhaps the best looking Windows based laptops. They tend to run a bit warm but remember these are not gaming/performance platforms. You get a sexy keyboard, mine are backlit, a beautiful screen topped of with Gorilla glass, all wrapped in an apple-esque aluminum alloy case. It's a premium laptop a stunner something to show off in the conference room or at a friends house. Not a killer performer, can get the job done well. They do get warm if you do some really CPU intensive work such a video recoding but no task you mention demands huge resources. Dell laptop are my choice. Over the decades I have serviced laptops Dells are far more durable than any other brand.
I did check some reviews about Razer and it is a hot rod. So do you want a Mercedes or a Porsche? Each has it's features. I am very happy with all my XPS systems. I'll stick with towers when I need flat out performance.

NOTE: I think I need to start trimming my collection here, I forgot about one of my laptops.

Hello there,

It really depends of how much and what type of gaming you are doing. If you do plenty and want to play new titles, it is better to go with the GeForce plan. The i5 or i7 isn't that big of a deal to consider.

The thing that considers me though is the RAM, you are mentioning virtualization and i believe that 8GB isn't going to help you much if you wanna run VMs. And if you want to run VMs, Hyper-V is amazing and highly recommended, so you may need a Windows 10 Pro or better license.

As DVDR_Dog said, Dell XPS laptops have very good reputation.

Hope it helps

Hello

I don't play games that often. However, I have to learn 2D and 3D modelling softwares like AutoCAD during my studies.

Will apps like AutoCAD demands huge resources? And do I need to go with the GeForce plan to run apps like AutoCAD smoothly?

Last edited:
Will apps like AutoCAD demands huge resources? And do I need to go with the GeForce plan to run apps like AutoCAD smoothly?

No need, Intel® UHD Graphics is good enough for workstation use.

Reactions: XDD
Well that depends. I don't think a laptop is a good environment for AutoCAD. That's pretty much a software where more is better. The more complex modeling, the higher resolution display requires raw horsepower and RAM. Of course to offload part of the graphics processing to a dedicated GPU will speed things up as it gets more complex.
RAM is a big deal if your system has to start spooling off work in process to the hard drive for lack of ram you might as well go make yourself a sandwich while that takes place.
I know that's not a great answer. A laptop is not an ideal environment for 3D modeling. I understand you are a student. Does your professor have any recommendations? They are already aware of what exercises they expect you to perform on your system. Whatever you do make sure you populate your system with the maximum amount of RAM it will accept.

Hello!

I am planing to buy a Dell XPS 15 9500 or a Razer Blade 15 2020 Base Model and I am not sure which configuration would be better for me.

Dell has a 10th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-10300H with Intel® UHD Graphics for $1,299.99 and 10th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-10750H with NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1650 Ti 4GB GDDR6 for $1,749.99. Both has 8GB DDR4-2933MHz, 2x4G and 256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid State Drive (upgradeable).

I occasionally play different games and edit photos (No video editing). I Use CorelDraw 2020 quiet often. Apps I use everyday include Adobe Acrobat DC, Microsoft Office, Google Chrome, IDM, Nord VPN etc. Also I plan on installing Linux on VM when I get the new laptop.

Do you think i7 and GTX 1650 Ti would make any deference for me? If so I would rather buy a Razer Blade 15 2020 Base Model since it has a healthy dose of ports instead of just USB-C like the Dell XPS 15.
I just purchased an XPS 13.4 2n1 for a clients daughter off to medical school. She wantred 13" and he said he wanted the best... I7-10875H 32GB DDR4 2TB ssd m2 UHD touchscreen with corning gorilla glass in (3840X2400) GTX 1650 TI Killer 2x2 AX wifi and BT 5.1, new waves wavemax 4 speaker system Win10 Pro and their new magnetic tilt pen, 4 year Pro Support Plus next day onsight warranty and accident support.
Titanium and black carbon fiber cut out of one solid block of aluminum. Best I have seen in a long time.

Back