• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Do I need to have Windows Recovery Environment enabled?

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

Jim Rockford

Sep 30, 2021
What happens if it is disabled? I have a perfectly working Acronis backup image of the entire drive, so do I need WRE at all? I love it that I can simply go back to all my updates, apps, and preferences reinstalled with my image. I am using Windows 10.

You really have a couple of things available to you the way you have things set up now.. The Acronis image is great for having a snapshot of your O/S and programs at a given point sometime in the past namely your last backup. The Windows restore gives you the added feature of basically a dynamic backup that can just restore the registry and only the changes made after Windows did that backup. It's pretty useful when you are dealing with tempermental cracks since uninstalls rarely delete all the changes the actual crack makes and does it less painfully than a complete reimage if it's not required. I keep both around and try not to groan about how much disk space the Windows feature consumes. Not that big a deal when drives are in the TB size these days. If it's just reimaging you want, turn off the Windows B/U and rely on Acronis, the better solution.

Back