• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

External hard disks keep disconnecting while rendering video

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

Ohhenry97

Jun 12, 2020
My two WD Elements hard disks keep disconnecting while I render video with Adobe Premiere and DaVinci Resolve. I am worried because, a part from not being able to work on them, if I don't disconnect them, they will get damaged, with time.
They are connected to the pc with a USB 3.0 Hub which has its own power supply, and both of the HD have their own power supply.
With the same configuration but another older pc with windows 7, it was no problem, now that I have my brand new pc, this happens.
In case you wonder, I already set to high performance the power options in the control panel, preventing selective usb deactivation.
I also tried to connect my pc to another power plug in the house, in case the problem was not enough power routed by my multiple plug, where I have the pc, the 2 hard disks, the hub and 3 monitors, with no different results. iphone 15 ringtone

My system specification:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3900x (with BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Pro x570 (non wifi)
Graphic card: Gigabyte RTX 2060 Super Gaming OC 3X rev. 2
PSU: Corsair RM 850
6 Noctua fans
Audio card: external Focusrite Scarlett Solo I
Storage:
2 external WD Elements HD 5 TB + 4 TB
1 external Toshiba HD 2 TB
1 internat Seagate Barracuda 8 TB
1 NVME Samsung 1 TB
download ringtone samsung

Last edited:
My two WD Elements hard disks keep disconnecting while I render video with Adobe Premiere and DaVinci Resolve. I am worried because, a part from not being able to work on them, if I don't disconnect them, they will get damaged, with time.
They are connected to the pc with a USB 3.0 Hub which has its own power supply, and both of the HD have their own power supply.
With the same configuration but another older pc with windows 7, it was no problem, now that I have my brand new pc, this happens.
In case you wonder, I already set to high performance the power options in the control panel, preventing selective usb deactivation.
I also tried to connect my pc to another power plug in the house, in case the problem was not enough power routed by my multiple plug, where I have the pc, the 2 hard disks, the hub and 3 monitors, with no different results.

My system specification:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3900x (with BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Pro x570 (non wifi)
Graphic card: Gigabyte RTX 2060 Super Gaming OC 3X rev. 2
PSU: Corsair RM 850
6 Noctua fans
Audio card: external Focusrite Scarlett Solo I
Storage:
2 external WD Elements HD 5 TB + 4 TB
1 external Toshiba HD 2 TB
1 internat Seagate Barracuda 8 TB
1 NVME Samsung 1 TB
I too have that exact same problem with WD USB external drives. I have pretty much concluded that pushing that much bandwidth through all the hubs I have tried to use is the problem and I have to admit I can’t think of a darn thing you can do to make those hubs perform any better. Power problems at the hub can cause this but you have already covered all those bases.
The only solution I have found. Is directly attach those drives to an existing USB port on the board. If that’s not possible try adding a USB card to the motherboard. You are constantly pushing a heck of a lot of bandwidth thru that hub.and. It’s overwhelming it. I know it’s a royal pain when those drives disconnect during rendering and it’s the only fix I have found. It’s better that getting pissed every time the drive disconnnects..
Technically I think. Windows does that disconnect in an attempt to prevent data corruption right or wrong.

The first thing I noticed is that you are using a graphics card with PCIe 3.0 for video rendering (this is not a bad thing naturally), but if you already have a 3.gen ryzen CPU that supports PCIe 4.0 with double bandwidth, why not try something better?

Anyway back to your problem:

Are you sure that HUB is not a problem?

Firsty try use only one USB port from HUB (it should be ok for whole rendering process). If not, than you know your "culprit".

If everything goes right, than you should buy a USB PCIe expansion card for your motherboard and connect all external disks into it, instead into the HUB.

The vast majority of hubs are sensitive to another "power" devices which are connecting/disconnecting to them. I personally think it's not about the Windows, because Macs are doing same thing. System is just trying to secure itself and your data from being corrupted (and still your encoding software will throw at you "File I/O error" and you will get corrupted file afterwards)...

I hope, we will hear from you about your sollution

Cheers

you said the same 2 drives and hub together work fine on the w7 system
curious
the best thing would be to bypass the hub
do you not have enough usb 3 slots?
so you can install a usb 3 expansion card
It could be simply a weak hub, not compatible with w10; sounds crazy, but... that's computer electronics and stuff.
So, probably test with just like one of the drives directly into the usb port without the hub.
Contact the maker of the hub, maybe they have a forum or something. If they don't, then... probably weak hub.
Maybe some place like 'toms hardware' forum has info on the hub, or you could pose a question about the hub.

1. Test without the hub.
2. Expansion card.
3. Different hub.

Back