• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

[Guide] How to download Torrents

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

th3m

VIP
Jun 24, 2020
Finding and downloading torrents in 2020 is easy as ordering coffee but there are some tips and tricks that i would like to share to make your experience easier and secure.

BitTorrent is a file sharing protocol. To use it first we need a client.

• I recommend the open source client qBittorrent. After you install it, i also recommend adjusting some settings:
Options -> Behavior -> File association -> Tick "use qBittorrent for magnet links" (icon-magnet.gif magnet links are what we are going to use)​
Options -> BitTorrent -> "Encryption mode" set it to "Require encryption"​
Options -> BitTorrent -> Tick "Enable anonymous mode"​

• Using icon-magnet.gif magnet links is the most clean and safe way to start downloading a Torrent. I advice you against any other option that is offered to you by the torrent sites. Other options may trick you into ads or protentional unwanted programs or even malware.

• Browsing torrents sites, trying to find the content we need and getting those icon-magnet.gif magnet links can also be frustrating and dangerous if we don't use an Adblocker. I highly recommend to have the icon38@2x.png uBlock Origin extension on your browser. Here is how to get it on your Edge, Chrome, Firefox, Opera.

• Ok i am all set up, where can i find Torrents? Here is a list of my favorite public Torrent Sites:
    • WAREZ links removed

• What if my ISPblocks the access to those sites?
    • Change your DNS settings. I recommend to look at Cloudflare or NextDNS,
    • Use a VPN. I recommend the free ProtonVPN. Using a VPN it is also advisable when you download the torrent files, especially in countries that you can be fined if you download illegal DMCA content. Here is more info about VPNs: link
    • Use Tor Browser. Great tool to have for anonymous browsing in general. Note that it doesn't have an adblocker and don't use an adblocker with it (loses its purpose), so be careful when you navigate at torrent sites.

• Can they see what i download? Yes, BitTorrent is an open protocol, so when you use public torrents especially with DHT enabled, everything is in the open. Here is a simple site that you can check your torrent traffic based on your IP address: https://iknowwhatyoudownload.com/en/peer/ (Another reason to use a VPN to hide your IP, or if your ISP provides you with a dynamic IP address, you can restart your modem/router occasionally to change that IP address)

• Some final tips:
    • If you download a video file (movies, series) there is a way to watch it while it downloads! To achieve that when you click on the icon-magnet.gif magnet link and the qBittorrent window pops up, make sure to Tick "Download in sequential order" and "Download first and last pieces first". This way it will start downloading in order and your media player can start playing it from the first second.
    • Torrents can get your PC infected. Be careful when those packages contain cracks or patches. Always check them with VirusTotal and with experience you will learn when a file is safe or not by identifying the false positives. Get used of the Windows Sandbox, can save lives. Most of the sites have a comment section about the torrent you are about to download, check those comments, usually bad behavior is reported there.
    • Make sure to follow some news about torrent sites, often they are getting seized and they have to move to different domains. One popular site that has this information is TorrentFreak.

Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
My sugestion, install Brave Browser (Link below) and use the app Hacxx Anonymous Torrent Search V4.

Brave Browser - Has an inbuild torrent manager.

Hacxx Anonymous Torrent Search - Normal torrent search on popular torrent sites with the option to proxify the pages (Bypass dns blocking).

My sugestion, install Brave Browser (Link below) and use the app Hacxx Anonymous Torrent Search V4.

Brave Browser - Has an inbuild torrent manager.

Hacxx Anonymous Torrent Search - Normal torrent search on popular torrent sites with the option to proxify the pages (Bypass dns blocking).

Thank you for the reply,

I don't trust Brave after the recent affiliate link fraud so i wouldn't recommend it. Also never heard about Hacxx Anonymous Torrent Search, and couldn't find anything solid after a quick web search. Sorry but both suggestions seem sketchy to me.

I am open to suggestions though, if you or anyone have anything to contribute for the guide i will be happy to hear it and make the proper adjustments.

thanks dude! Lately I've been trying to find the right proxy server and it's so freaking hard. Fortunately the one that I'm using right now is working just fine. I can download the latest tv shows , movies and even audio books for free. Yes, I can watch and download everything without having to pay and without censorship. You can call me cheap or whatever, but I'm not ready to pay plenty of money a month just to watch some shows. Besides, why pay when you can have it all for free?

Last edited:
The BitTorrent protocol has downloaders help send the file to other downloaders, reducing the burden on the original owner. This usually results in all participants downloading the file faster.

Back