• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

How much do Windows 10 cost?

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

GlennMurray

Mar 9, 2021
Hello everyone,
Computers are indispensable for me. My computer is currently running Window XP. I heard that Window XP is dead. Therefore, to be able to use the machine the best, I want to switch to Windows 10. Don't know, how much space will I need to install Windows 10 on my computer? Are there any offers from Microsoft when I buy it?
Thanks everyone.

Quite honestly Glenn it's probably time to retire your XP system at least as your main system. I highly doubt it's willing to make the move to Win 10.
Unless you have been constantly upgrading your system (a 2012 CPU or newer to start), time to go shopping.
I could go on about drivers, DDR or (2) just isn't around anymore and on and on.
Sorry for the bad news. As far as Win 10 there is stuff out there on the torrents that I guess works. All my systems are legit, go figure. I don't trust a pirate O/S but that's just me.
Your cheapest way if you want to go 100% is purchase a perpetual OEM copy from Amazon, Newegg, or pick your favorite on line retailer.

This is what MS says about upgrading.

Here's what it takes to upgrade to Windows 10 on your PC or tablet:

• Latest OS: Make sure you're running the latest version—either Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 Update.
  • Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster processor or SoC
  • RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) for 32-bit or 2 GB for 64-bit
  • Hard disk space: 16 GB for 32-bit OS or 20 GB for 64-bit OS
  • Graphics card: DirectX 9 or later with WDDM 1.0 driver
  • Display: 800 x 600

I'm sure, that if your XP machine has at least these components (minus the OS part) you could install Win10 on that box. It may not be easy and it will be crawling (not running) but it's doable. The cost could potentially be $0 for the software as MS offers it on their site.

Yes, support for XP (as well as W7, 1.20.20). No there will be no more updates, patches or security fixes for either of these. Are you one that spends a lot of time on the internet? Using a modem and AOL email don't count. Better yet, would you like to spend more time on the internet? In the days of XP the internet was still young. People did not stream movies to their PCs as they do now. W10 is to the PC today, what XP was to the PC yesterday. It's a whole ne world.

The question you should ask yourself is "Do I want to upgrade to W10?" It sounds like you do. However the best bet in your case would be to move to Win10 on a new laptop. You can (if you choose) connect the new laptop to a full size monitor and keyboard and even add a real mouse.

Consider it. Migrating your current PC to Win10 is going to be painful.

On the same but slightly different note, MS offers FREE upgrade to Win10, and will GIVE you the tools to do it. However, I don't think the upgrade will work from an XP box.

Additionally, there would be a substantial (in the XP world) amount of disk space needed to perform this surgery.

I agree with everyone. A machine designed back in the XP days is not capable of upgrading to W10 for tons of reason. Back up your data and get a new machine. XP to W10 cannot and will not happen or work. It is not a matter of the drive it is a matter of the MOBO not being compatible.

If money is a problem I have an excellent suggestion that is not only valid for your situation but for anyone looking for parts or a learning machine. I belong to a website group that started on Yahoo decades ago. It is a "green movement" that is excellent. It is called Freecycle.org and here is how it works.

1. Sign up with your email address for free
  2. It is based on individual groups based on geographical location
  3. You subscribe to your preferred location group's email newsletter/postings
  4. You can subscribe to as many groups as you want there is no limit
  5. EVERYTHING MUST BE FREE THERE IS NO SELLING ALLOWED
  6. You can post you are looking for things or that you are offering things
  7. The concept is to keep as much out of landfills as possible for as long as possible
  8. It is based on the concept that just that it is obsolete, broken or you are just upgrading something doesn't mean it cannot be of use to someone else for either parts or maybe they have the skills to fix it. There are many hobbyists out there.
  9. You post and then the post goes out to the subscribers and then they get a link for each individual posting that you click on and reply through the site and the site sends the reply back to the original poster without revealing their contact information unless they reply directly to you and give it directly to you. You then work out pick up/delivery arrangements between yourselves.
I have seen awesome things offered, washing machines/dryers, TVs, even a non-working car was offered which wound up being a great father son backyard bonding project for someone. Remember these are all old and possibly broken or not working items so don't expect to get a plasma TV with surround sound or a Corvette. I have gotten several computers and given an old stereo I could not fix that someone else did and a computer. It is also good to give clothing away on there. I avoid clothing bins religiously because they usually (98% of the time) wind up being a criminal enterprise pretending to be a charity and they sell the clothes overseas.

Maybe you can post on there (if there is a group in your area) and get a hard drive or a newer laptop.....

Good luck!

Sincerely,

Wonder Woman

Hello everyone,
Computers are indispensable for me. My computer is currently running Window XP. I heard that Window XP is dead. Therefore, to be able to use the machine the best, I want to switch to Windows 10. Don't know, how much space will I need to install Windows 10 on my computer? Are there any offers from Microsoft when I buy it?
Thanks everyone.
Go to promokeys . net

LOL Freecycle
That's where my entire stable of systems came from. It blows my mind what businesses discard. Unused laptops, Dell and HP portable workstations, MacBook Pro's with every possible option and none of these are more than a couple of years old. Lately it's been a bunch of i7 microsystems, they make dandy home entertainment systems. Hey I don't mind.

if you want to switch windows XP to Windows 10 then I told you that is the better decision. because XP is the oldest version in the windows world. but windows 10 is the latest version.it has lots of features and user friendly. many websites offer Windows 10 keys at a cheap price. if you want to buy windows 10 then you can buy it from a Microsoft partner reseller. they are selling software licenses at a low price. Microsoft partner Websites like softkeyworld,wincdkey, msckey, and many more.

because XP is the oldest version in the windows world.
Oh really? Some of us here grew up in the 95, 98, 2000 days or even 3.5. The DOS based O/S'es were partly a pain b/c they crashed a lot but you could tinker around with them fairly easy.

Back