What's new

How to Block Windows 10 Update Force Installing the New Edge Browser

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 50.000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

DVDR_Dog

Ultimate Donator
Donator
VIP
Nov 5, 2018
OS
Windows 10
BR
Chrome 79.0.3945.79

Honestly you already have Blink rendering engine with Chrome which was a fork of Chromium which was a fork of Webkit.
The "New Edge" mimics Chrome.
You don't need M/S reinvention of the wheel. M/S always figures a way to stuff more ads into their browsers.
Might as well keep Edge around for amusement purposes.

Courtesy of Lawrence Abrams and Bleeping Computer.

jamvaru

Jun 23, 2012
OS
Windows 10
BR
Edge 18.18362
decided to take another look at firefox after all this time.
I've been using Iron Chromium (chrome minus google and plus security features) because it uses it's own folder as video stream cache.
After testing firefox while playing video it looks like the video stream is simply cached in memory, which makes sense, except on machines with no memory to speak of. I have 16gb so plenty to spare.
So, I use firefox generally and Iron occassionally, but it seems like Windows likes it best when I use Edge as the default. It isn't much of a bother. Lastpass works with it, and adguard. I can switch over to firefox or Iron if Edge isn't doing it, as when opening links from the mail client.
I try to use the default stuff as much as I can, like 'paint' and 'mail', simply because it is there. I'll be doing a 3rd party mail client eventually, but I'm lazy.
Just thought I'd post that bit about the cacheing for those who like to watch youtube videos.
You can see the disk access during video streaming if you open task manager and from there you can open Performance Monitor, i believe it is called.

jamvaru

Jun 23, 2012
OS
Windows 10
BR
Edge 18.18362
the key bit regarding Edge is that the mail client doesn't like to use other browsers as default. Often a link won't open except in Edge. It seems to be a sneaky bit of tinkering by MS to me, but maybe the other browsers just aren't configured correctly for windows?

Snuffy

Dec 10, 2011
OS
Windows 10
BR
Firefox 71.0
Many things fail to work if EDGE is not Installed... so be careful what you wish for.

jamvaru

Jun 23, 2012
OS
Windows 10
BR
Edge 18.18362
with chromium or google chrome, in other words not 'IRON' version, the disk chacheing for youtube video streaming happens on the C: drive, even if the browser is installed on another drive, so using Iron fixed that, to make the cacheing happen on the other drive instead. This is to reduce wear on the C: drive, which in my case is a SSD. Now firefox seems to have the cacheing eliminated, so the video streams using the memory alone, the RAM.
I believe edge uses the C: drive to cache. I've not tested in a while since before I switched to Firefox recently, but EDGE is goofy enough without this issue to cause me to want to use another browser anyway.
I don't have any other 'windows 10 devices', besides my main gaming desktop pc, so I suppose I wouldn't be bothered to block the installation, as edge doesn't really take up much space, and is 'good enough' for use as the default browser, which microsoft seems to rather demand, in the way i've mentioned. I'm using edge now, as the link was from the mail client to open this website. It does this well enough.
If I could find a mail client that has the option to open the web links using a different browser, other than the 'default' browser in windows settings, I would like to switch to that for my main mail client. I seem to recall that this was a feature of thunderbird but because of an addon or extension.
Any way, just wanted to clarify my reasoning for using edge and also iron and firefox. I haven't tested edge to see if it is still using the disk cacheing for video streaming or not. I also haven't bothered to test chromium or google chrome lately, being satisfied with iron and now firefox. Though firefox is a bit slower to open the pages.
Also, sometimes firefox will reload the page when I click on a reply link in a youtube comment, but sometimes it doesn't.