• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Installing a hard drive for a backup on the network

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

BrianCa

Aug 27, 2019
i would like to know if i can take a hard drive that i now use as a usb backup drive and if they make an adapter that will let me plug that drive on my network switch and then do network backups? ringtone download

getting a regular nas backup device just seems way overboard for a home use and for me way out of my budget. i see that some modems will let you plug a thumb drive and maybe even some hard drives into them for using as backup drives, but the netgear people just can't answer that question for me, so maybe someone here knows how to do this or has done this.

so if anyone has a c7000 netgear modem router device and has plugged a usb hard drive into the back of that device to use as a backup drive then please let me know if it works. guitar tones

or if anyone has found a usb to cat5 adapter that i can plug my usb backup hard drive into and then plug that adapter into the network switch, and have that work for a backup for my files. please pass that along. thanks

Last edited:
Honestly you are looking for a NAS device. NAS has it's own CPU and code to navigate the network and to organize your backups.
Hope that clears things up. They are really cheap to build from an old otherwise unwanted system. There are plenty of free programs available. Check out filehippo or similar to see what may best suit your needs.

Assuming you needed to move your drive to a different device on your network is where you went wrong. You can share the drive over your network with it still attached to your original machine (or any other PC on your network for that matter). Just google "sharing an entire drive on network with windows". It's a relatively painless process and it's absolutely free.

Back