• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Internet speed tests are high but downloads really slow a few KB)

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

EniGami

Feb 21, 2023
Recently, after a long time being great, my internet is very very slow...
I have been chasing this issue for a couple of weeks and my ISP says my cable link is fine.

Various speed tests are reporting high download speed (125mb) but page refreshes and downloads are really slow (a few kb)
I have tried resetting the Windows 11 network, rebooting and turning off my cable modem and router to reinitialise them
Additionally, I have followed several pieces of advice from the web but to no avail

NOTHING has changed n my hardware/software etc, other than I keep my OS up to date so in recent weeks I have updated windows several times.

I am running Windows 11 Pro. version 22H2 (OS Build 22621. 192)

Any advice will be most welcome

:)

I use BOTH of those net speed checkers regularly and just now they both report circa 125MB download speed

I have tried several browsers and my VPN but download speeds are poor and refresh rates vary all over the place from painfully slow to pretty good

E.

Mbps. Sorry I was careless about my use of upper/lower case

I use Speedtest.net Desktop App for Windows and it just reported 125Mbps

After an age on chat then on a voice call, the ISP Technician suspected it was a Windows Update issue discussed on Reddit last month

After removing updates KB5028851, KB5028185 via settings menu, my Internet connection is working up to speed again!

Thanks for your help

After an age on chat then on a voice call, the ISP Technician suspected it was a Windows Update issue discussed on Reddit last month

After removing updates KB5028851, KB5028185 via settings menu, my Internet connection is working up to speed again!

Thanks for your help

Very intresting, thanks for letting us know!

I have been chasing this issue for a couple of weeks and my ISP says my cable link is fine.

Various speed tests are reporting high download speed (125mb) but page refreshes and downloads are really slow (a few kb)
I have tried resetting the Windows 11 network, rebooting and turning off my cable modem and router to reinitialise them
Additionally, I have followed several pieces of advice from the web but to no avail

NOTHING has changed n my hardware/software etc, other than I keep my OS up to date so in recent weeks I have updated windows several times.

Try to uninstall your drivers for the internet adapter clear everything in the temp folder, reboot and then re-install the adapter if Windows does not do it automatically after the reboot. Then I would set the adapter local ip to example 192.168.4.32 and for the dns First box 1.1.1.1 and the second one 1.0.0.1 then save those changes disable the adapter and re-enable it and it should be at its best performance.

If THAT DOES NOT WORK you could also try Iobit Advanced System Care which has great internet performance tweaks.

I usually do both on a fresh install and then it is managed and kept blazing fast by Iobit Advanced Care.

This is an ISP in Hong Kong I have subscribed too.
1Gbps Unlimited Data, Cost AU $ 55.00 a month, less than Australian $2.00 per day.
I have attached an image which shows the download speed, Maximum download speed, upload speed and Latency.
VPN Disabled.

Attachments

• Internet speed.2jpg.jpg
    Internet speed.2jpg.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 6
This is an ISP in Hong Kong I have subscribed too.
1Gbps Unlimited Data, Cost AU $ 55.00 a month, less than Australian $2.00 per day.
I have attached an image which shows the download speed, Maximum download speed, upload speed and Latency.
VPN Disabled.
Nice :D

Well, Each time I do a speed test I get completely different results.

When I do a test file download, I get one speed and when I do an internet speed test, I get a faster result.

Maybe that is because of speed test uses local servers located near us and while downloading a test file, the files are actually downloaded from a specific server of a particular location.

Attachments

• speed test results.PNG
    speed test results.PNG
    21.4 KB · Views: 2
To get more solid speeds set the DNS's in your adapter to either Cloud 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 or Google 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 When we leave it blank it uses your ISP DNS and they are always all over the place as far as speed test. ISP DNS are always terrible.

To get more solid speeds set the DNS's in your adapter to either Cloud 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 or Google 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 When we leave it blank it uses your ISP DNS and they are always all over the place as far as speed test. ISP DNS is always terrible. I believe I mentioned this before :)

Change isp

Back