• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Is it suspicious that an installation file ask for "An app on this computer needs the following Windows feature: .NET Framework 3.5"?

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

Boppe

Sep 4, 2022
I want to download a program from a source I don't know if it's reliable.
The program is Tradera Prolister 1.6. It's a program used to upload auctions to Tradera, like a Swedish Ebay.

It seems hard to find this small program. I found the file on a site on a site called software.informer.com. I downloaded the installation file.

When clicking the installation file a window opens with the message "An app on this computer needs the following Windows feature: .NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0)".

I can't see no reason why the app needs this feauture. I got suspicious and didn't install.

Question: Do you think it's OK or is it suspicious that the app ask for this feature?

Nope not at all. .NET is a programming language, not to worry.
Here a link to a little toolkit you should always have handy. It will help keep you safe, secure and running smoothly all on a USB stick. Here's a link to the program which will let you know exactly what .NET versions you have installed. There are portable apps here that can basically do just about anything you would care to.
dotNETInspector Portable @ Portable Apps

I want to download a program from a source I don't know if it's reliable.
The program is Tradera Prolister 1.6. It's a program used to upload auctions to Tradera, like a Swedish Ebay.

It seems hard to find this small program. I found the file on a site on a site called software.informer.com. I downloaded the installation file.

When clicking the installation file a window opens with the message "An app on this computer needs the following Windows feature: .NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0)".

I can't see no reason why the app needs this feauture. I got suspicious and didn't install.

Question: Do you think it's OK or is it suspicious that the app ask for this feature?
.NET framework runtime is required for some apps. Install it.
software.informer.com is secure. - It's shareware...

The message about needing the ".NET Framework 3.5" is not inherently suspicious on its own. The .NET Framework is a software framework developed by Microsoft that is often required for certain applications to run. It's a common request, especially for older software or applications developed with specific frameworks.

Back