• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Laptop Freezes

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

Pennypen

Jan 7, 2020
I live in a rural are,to far to get a good speed so my IT is very slow.About a month ago,i notice my laptop keeps freezing.Sometimes all night.I have had it looked at,but the problem is still there.I know its not the speed,as i would have had this problem when i first moved.Any advice please thankyou

I live in a rural are,to far to get a good speed so my IT is very slow.About a month ago,i notice my laptop keeps freezing.Sometimes all night.I have had it looked at,but the problem is still there.I know its not the speed,as i would have had this problem when i first moved.Any advice please thankyou
Could you let us know the make and model of your laptop? Some models have problems that can be easily fixed. It's really hard to give generic advice, it could be anything.
Try running this program. If it's spyware/adware causing problems this program should help.

Sometimes a computer is better after a fresh install of the operating system. If you choose this route be sure to back up all your important files and information about what programs you want to re-install, etc. A portable hard drive with usb connection is a good backup. If you don't have many media files like movies and music a 'thumb drive' should be sufficient, for things like tax files or pictures.
It may be impossible to find the problem. Re-installing will tell us if the computer works 'out-of-the-box', meaning is there something wrong with the computer or is it a software issue?

Yes, agree without a make, model or laptop and version of OS hard to know. but MS has several times offered a list of items to do, to assist in Getting a Clean bill of health for working proper. I have compiles the list... (you can copy and run as a Bat file - run as admin. copy all the script, into notepad, then you can run 1 line at a time or save the list as "healthfix.bat"
HealthFix.bat
-------------------------
dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth

dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

net stop wuauserv

net stop cryptSvc

net stop bits

net stop msiserver

ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
rmdir /s /q c:\windows\SoftwareDistribution.old

net start wuauserv

net start cryptSvc

net start bits

net start msiserver

net stop cryptsvc

md %systemroot%\system32\catroot2.bak

xcopy %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 %systemroot%\system32\catroot2.bak /s

net start cryptsvc

pause

Thinking about your dilemma this morning. As my dad and uncle were Bonnie Old Scotsman (RIP) I feel the need to go the extra mile.
Here's what can cause (or what appears as) freezing.
From a strictly hardware problem 99% of the time it's overheating usually the CPU. All Intel and newer AMD systems have a safeguard which lowers the voltage available to the CPU and slows it down eventually shutting the system down to prevent damage. Loss of voltage with a shorted out battery and/or a failing AC power supply will have the same effect.

Snuffy has you more than handled the hardware/Windows interaction problems with his brilliant set of scripts he posted. Be careful with them. Don't interrupt when once you start them running.

Finally and probably the most common, one of two things are taking place. Either your resources are being totally consumed by some software that doesn't play nicely (See Thumper's very good post) or your system has locked up in an endless loop. Endless loops are characterised by having to forcefully shut the machine down (A hard restart ).
Programs that cause huge memory leaks or unfortunately video drivers are the cause lately. I have been having problems with a variety of systems including the one I am posting from having video driver loops or lockups. Leaky programs will eventually capture memory locations reserved for drivers and the like.

The only thing I might add is try booting into safe mode with networking, let the laptop run for a while and see if the problem replicates itself. Let us know as it will be a great help trying to sort this one out.

Back