• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Microsoft no longer offers Windows 7 drivers via Windows Update

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

DVDR_Dog

Ultimate Donator
Donator
VIP
Nov 5, 2018
It's not happening anymore.
"On June 17, 2021, Microsoft will discontinue the publication of drivers to Windows Update for Windows 7 SP1, Windows Server 2008, and Windows Server 2008 R2," said Naim Mohammad, Technical Program Manager at Microsoft.
So now you are going to have to go to the OEM's site or the individual hardware manufacturer. No big loss for me, I have found Windows Update has given me some problematic drivers in the past. It's going to be a little more work, but in my mind you are doing it the right way.
Oh and since we are on the subject:

NVIDIA is dropping support for Windows 7 and Windows 8 drivers.​

So I would hustle over to your graphics card manufacturer and squirrel the latest Win 7/8 drives away because NVIDA drivers have a nasty habit of disappearing. Get yourself a free cloud account stow those drivers away if you are stuck running Win 7.

Microsoft made a commitment to provide 10 years of product support for Windows 7 when it was released on October 22, 2009. This 10-year period has now ended, and Microsoft has discontinued Windows 7 support so that we can focus our investment on supporting newer technologies and great new experiences. The specific end of support day for Windows 7 was January 14, 2020. Technical assistance and software updates from Windows Update that help protect your PC are no longer available for the product. Microsoft strongly recommends that you move to Windows 11 to avoid a situation where you need service or support that is no longer available.

Back