• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Microsoft Outlook - Windows 11

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

oldgeek

Aug 25, 2021
Just making an enquiry as to whether anyone has a slight problem with Outlook. What appears to be happening with my own is that at times, I am unable to open up Outlook. I have to go into task manager, find the Otlook process and end it before I can restart it again. This has been happening for a while now and initially, I ignored it and treated it as an inconvenience. However, since all the updates and no improvement in it's behaviour, I am wondering if it is just me or is it Microsoft. I do admit thinking more to the latter than the former. So, does anyone have a similar problem?

OldGeek

Just making an enquiry as to whether anyone has a slight problem with Outlook. What appears to be happening with my own is that at times, I am unable to open up Outlook. I have to go into task manager, find the Otlook process and end it before I can restart it again. This has been happening for a while now and initially, I ignored it and treated it as an inconvenience. However, since all the updates and no improvement in it's behaviour, I am wondering if it is just me or is it Microsoft. I do admit thinking more to the latter than the former. So, does anyone have a similar problem?

OldGeek

Search function is not working for two clients, other issue i haven't found...

What is exactly your issue with M$ Outlook?

Search function is not working for two clients, other issue i haven't found...

What is exactly your issue with M$ Outlook?
I've not been able to identify the exact cause of the problem of Outlook hanging, neither is it a regular occurrence. However, there are times when I attempt to open Outlook and it fails to open, yet I see the process running in the Processes section of the task manager. The only way that it will open is by closing down (ending) that particular process and start Outlook the normal way. I am using the latest version of Office (Office 365 I think). I suppose I could go to Microsoft support but they take an age to respond and sometimes don't bother answering.

OldGeek

Sounds like a problem with your data files, they can be checked and rebuilt if required. I haven't had to do that for a couple of years but Dr. Google has the solution.

Unfortunately I have already done this with no improvement in behaviour. If it was a regular thing I might stand a better chance but being irregular, it's hard to pin down. Thanks anyway for the suggestion.

OldGeek

Unfortunately I have already done this with no improvement in behaviour. If it was a regular thing I might stand a better chance but being irregular, it's hard to pin down. Thanks anyway for the suggestion.

OldGeek
Do you have last Office updates installed?

1649498134128.png

Yep, all uodated and double checked.

OldGeek
Do you have v2021 or an older version? if you have old version installed, can you please try doing full uninstall (revo uninstaller or microsoft office uninstaller) reboot and install newer version?

Thank you!

Do you have v2021 or an older version? if you have old version installed, can you please try doing full uninstall (revo uninstaller or microsoft office uninstaller) reboot and install newer version?

Thank you!
I have Office 365 as even at my age I still do a lot of writing for various reasons. I have uninstalled the software twice up until now and replaced it with a new version, I am running windows 11, also updated until the last update, I use a variety of different software as well as most of the office software except for access, one note ( I use mysql for database work) and a couple of other minor things in there and I don't use the cloud either, don't want it and don't like it.

I have no other email clients running except for Yahoo and that is not installed on the machine, it comes via Sky. I also use Dragon a lot but that does not appear to be causing the problem. I have even contacted support,. I was given a number and that is the last I heard from them for over two months so far, despite trying to remind them, I only get an autoresponder answering me. My VPN is always off when I use email, one of them doesn't like it being on so it gets switched off when I do a mail check.

I have run several AV checks and used Malwarebytes once just to see if anything was missed, registry was cleaned for whatever use that might do, On an average I would say it hangs about once a week, at no particular time or after any particular software that had been or is being used, and nothing seem to show in the event logs for some reason.

So there you have the full history of what I have done and checked.

OldcGeek.

If it's 365 is the remote data base connection lagging? That type of behavior is really typical of data that's slow to load. My work account is 365 and depending what's going on on the other end it can get really slow if the DB access is really busy. That's where my money is and based on the steps you have taken to solve the problem locally.

If it's 365 is the remote data base connection lagging? That type of behavior is really typical of data that's slow to load. My work account is 365 and depending what's going on on the other end it can get really slow if the DB access is really busy. That's where my money is and based on the steps you have taken to solve the problem locally.
I have no answer to that, all I can say is that the process for running outlook is already there and can be seen using task manager, but it will not open. It needs to be "ended" before it will start, otherwise I don't experience any lag otherwise.

OldGeek

Back