• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Monitor Calibration Tools, Methods

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

DVDR_Dog

Ultimate Donator
Donator
VIP
Nov 5, 2018
I have to admit monitor calibtation was never a big issue for the doggie, it probably should have been. With the new year coming and the fact a have a bundle of laptops and displays at the house, I should probably try to get some uniformity to them.
So what do you monitor savvy members use to calibrate. With all the Phototshop posts there has to be some expert (or at least not so monitor ignorant as the dog) members who would like to share their knowledge.

Hi,
color professional here, new to TWF, working most on advertising, photo and video...
Using X Rite sensors, colorimeters (cheaper) for monitors, spectophotometers (expensive) for contract proofs and fine arts prints,
For monitor calibration, with a FOSS solution called DispCal... Very accurate...
Then, you ideally need a 100 sRGB capable monitor, at least...
And some control of your ambient light... More light in the room, more bright monitor...
You could find everything you need at Bhphoto, Adorama or such...
Hope it helps...

I worked in a business on that dealt with end result of your efforts for 12 years, a very high end multi-color printing firm. Peeps have no idea what goes into color perception, it's incredible. I used to have nightmares about the Pantone Matching System. Fortunately I had a good friend who stepped into his dad's printing ink company. I guess printing isn't the it was deal back then. Still you know all the caveats of color. I really don't pay that much attention to color unless I am using my Precision 7730 workstation, I have a pretty killer 27" moitor to hook it up to. All my other stuff I am sure even if I took time to calibrate it drifts all over te place. I don't think I ever found the perfect software only calibration program and the hybrid hardware sensor setups are really expensive.
You will prbably shake your head with good reason what I am about to say, when it comes to every day usage, beauty is in the eye of the beholder most of the time. That goes for most of the setups John or Mary Computing are using since they are incapable of accurately reproducing what the author is trying to represent. It's one of those sad facts and a product of the current batch of hardware out there. I still run across setups that are capable of accurate color reproduction and just being a good gaming system doesn't guarantee that.
Thanks for sharing your knowledge with the forum. I am sure you know far more than I do having been away for so long.

I started in color management working at a printing industry, when a 4 color Dupont Match print letter sized color proof cost Us$ 1, 000 down here...
Dell Precision? Really nice monitors... A good colorimeter will cost around 200 dolars, will calibrate any panel tecnology, LED, Oled, ... And last for years... I m using NEC monitors now, migrating to INNOCN, check those!

Back