• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

MSOP RANSOMWARE

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

Well I know it's probably too late for you but anyone reading this post; BACK YOUR IMPORTANT STUFF UP!!!!!!
I really can't stress that enough. Especially playing the way we do, this event happens way too often.

Sorry for the Public Service Announcement Ejoven.

Your data for now is not retrievable. Probably will be in the future when enough samples have been submitted and a key can be determined. So far all those encryption schemes are eventually broken so it's a waiting game.
IF the data on your hard drive is that important your best bet is to remove that drive for now and wait for the key to become available. Use another drive to get up and running and be a bit more careful going forward. You could always mirror your existing drive onto another hard drive and proceed that way. Unless your data is expendable I wouldn't attempt to "fix" your hard drive at this time. There is a very good chance you could make things much worse. If you want to play mess around with your back up before you reformat the original drive keep in mind you do need an untouched copy to insure 100% recovery after the key is found. In the outside chance it's one of the older versions there are decryption programs available. Bleeping Computer is a great and trusted resource for those

There are programs out there that promise to rid your system of this infection among others. I may be a bit paranoid but that's quite a claim. The best bet is to do a low level format to clean out any rootkits or hidden partitions and start fresh. I know it's easy for me to say but once you do that it's a great time to do a system backup on a USB hard drive. It makes recovery time a matter of minutes and no hunting around for the best drivers etc.

So such is the life of a pirate. This kind of infection is a common one let's say found with programs downloaded from somewhere other than the publisher's site. It's part of the game we play.

Care to share how you acquired this infection Ejoven? What was the program and where did you find it? You might be helping a whole bunch of board members here.

GOOD LUCK!

that is wild
i feel for you
i've never had such an infection, but i've had hdd crashes and lost everything
one of my hard drives is making funny noises, like low pitch thumps, sounds like the magnet is wearing out maybe, idk, but checked with CrystalDiskInfo and the SMART info on the WD drive (should have been the best drive) is yellow in a couple of spots, so I ordered a couple of more HDD to replace it. There was a good sale on Seagate 2tb drives on Newegg today. Problem is I have to wipe the drive to replace 2 of them, because it is a 4 disk windows stripe, not the mirror. I've got mostly games. It won't be a problem, but I haVEN'T Been backing up, lol.
Anyway, just ranting I guess, thought it was interesting to see this at the same time I've having to dig out my backup drive, a usb 3 4tb hdd. So, backup my vids and pics and dls and whatever... wipe everything else. Reinstall my favorite games. That's about it.
New drive has 256mb cache, so i guess pretty good. Should be nice and quiet i suppose.
Anyway, good luck with that.
There is always something like dropbox, or windows something, one drive. You can at least get a few gb for free, for pictures and such, as backup.

there's a double xp MONTH going on with swtor right now, so I'm leveling my alts while on 'free' status

Back