• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

My Laptop is not booting

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

First screen? POST Power On Self Test? Or just an OEM logo?
??? Well OK next step. Can you hook up the video out from the laptop to a monitor?
If you do and the video is displayed on the monitor OK your screen has failed. If no then the next step would be to see if it's a possible RAM failure. Hopefully you can access the RAM on your laptop and it's socketed and not soldered on your motherboard.
If it is socketed either hopefully you have at least two sticks ( most laptops only have two RAM sockets max). Take out one stick at a time and try to boot the system up. If that works you have a back stick of RAM. If you only have one stick try to find another stick to replace it for testing purposes.
When replacing RAM esp. in a laptop make sure you note if it's 1.5 volt or 1.35 volt. Usually it will be noted in the description of the RAM. For example DDR3 is 1.5 volt and DDR3L is 1.35 volt. Unfortunately they will both fit in the same socket. DDR3L will work in most any system calling for DDR3. DDR3 will NOT work in systems that require DDR3L at all so keep that in mind.
So basically depending when the screen goes dark you either have a bad screen, bad RAM or the slightest possibility that your power supply may be failing and when your computer attempts to load a higher resolution driver the power is not able to produce the extra amperage to power the graphics controller and or the screen.
Confused? I was hoping you'd answer my first question so I ran you through the complete diagnostic process.
That pretty much takes care of 99% of the problem.
I forgot to mention a bad graphics driver could cause this too but I have only seen a black screen as a result a couple of times. Good luck troubleshooting your laptop.

Last edited:
Try replacing the hard drive with another(or see if an installation media will boot it) and reseat the ram moduals or if you don't have spare moduals take the upper one out(or if side by side the further one from the cpu) then switch them. That usually happens in for 2 reasons. Memory went bad(or isn't seated correctly) and hard drive went bad(or corrupt installation). Most common issues for your problem. If the screen freezes or goes black as soon as the windows logo is suppose to appear. Can't be cpu or graphics since you get the bios/manufacturer's post screens. The way you describe it the system locks up when the cpu is handing the system off to the operating system from the POST and BOIS. That's usually ram and hard drive(or operating system) issue.

Sometimes it can be the power brick for your laptop but usually that just goes out and wont power your laptop at all causing it to do nothing at all.

ddr and ddrl won't be an issue low power dimms can be used in a ddr and a ddrl system. DDR dims are 1.5 only ddrl are 1.5 AND 1.35 volt compatible. A bad screen you wouldn't get anything or would get artifacts during the entire time so the screen isn't an issue. Hooking up an external screen wont do anything that's controlled by the operating system which you can't get to.

20 years of experience in building, repairing and selling laptop, desktops(prebuilt and fully custom), NAS, DAS and server systems. With a master's in IT)

Last edited:
Try replacing the hard drive with another(or see if an installation media will boot it) and reseat the ram moduals or if you don't have spare moduals take the upper one out(or if side by side the further one from the cpu) then switch them. That usually happens in for 2 reasons. Memory went bad(or isn't seated correctly) and hard drive went bad(or corrupt installation). Most common issues for your problem. If the screen freezes or goes black as soon as the windows logo is suppose to appear. Can't be cpu or graphics since you get the bios/manufacturer's post screens. The way you describe it the system locks up when the cpu is handing the system off to the operating system from the POST and BOIS. That's usually ram and hard drive(or operating system) issue.

Sometimes it can be the power brick for your laptop but usually that just goes out and wont power your laptop at all causing it to do nothing at all.

ddr and ddrl won't be an issue low power dimms can be used in a ddr and a ddrl system. DDR dims are 1.5 only ddrl are 1.5 AND 1.35 volt compatible. A bad screen you wouldn't get anything or would get artifacts during the entire time so the screen isn't an issue. Hooking up an external screen wont do anything that's controlled by the operating system which you can't get to.

20 years of experience in building, repairing and selling laptop, desktops(prebuilt and fully custom), NAS, DAS and server systems. With a master's in IT)
Over 20 here and I think you are wrong from practical experience all day long. Bad hard drives will return an error on the screen 99% of the time FYI. From what it sounds like it never makes POST just an OEM logo and therein lies the problem. Why all the talk of DDR and DDR2? That's ancient history.

Have you tried a different battery or AC adapter? An additional question would be how old is the laptop? If it is more than 5 to 7 years old then I would not waste a dime diagnosing it or replacing parts on it. I would simply buy a new laptop and clone your drive to the new laptop.

But that’s just my opinion.

Have you tried a different battery or AC adapter? An additional question would be how old is the laptop? If it is more than 5 to 7 years old then I would not waste a dime diagnosing it or replacing parts on it. I would simply buy a new laptop and clone your drive to the new laptop.

I forgot all about the battery, good point. Some laptops will act all wacky or not start at all until you remove the battery and hook up a good AC adaptor. Never kept track of that by brand but HP and battery problems come to mind.

First screen? POST Power On Self Test? Or just an OEM logo?
??? Well OK next step. Can you hook up the video out from the laptop to a monitor?
If you do and the video is displayed on the monitor OK your screen has failed. If no then the next step would be to see if it's a possible RAM failure. Hopefully you can access the RAM on your laptop and it's socketed and not soldered on your motherboard.
If it is socketed either hopefully you have at least two sticks ( most laptops only have two RAM sockets max). Take out one stick at a time and try to boot the system up. If that works you have a back stick of RAM. If you only have one stick try to find another stick to replace it for testing purposes.
When replacing RAM esp. in a laptop make sure you note if it's 1.5 volt or 1.35 volt. Usually it will be noted in the description of the RAM. For example DDR3 is 1.5 volt and DDR3L is 1.35 volt. Unfortunately they will both fit in the same socket. DDR3L will work in most any system calling for DDR3. DDR3 will NOT work in systems that require DDR3L at all so keep that in mind.
So basically depending when the screen goes dark you either have a bad screen, bad RAM or the slightest possibility that your power supply may be failing and when your computer attempts to load a higher resolution driver the power is not able to produce the extra amperage to power the graphics controller and or the screen.
Confused? I was hoping you'd answer my first question so I ran you through the complete diagnostic process.
That pretty much takes care of 99% of the problem.
I forgot to mention a bad graphics driver could cause this too but I have only seen a black screen as a result a couple of times. Good luck troubleshooting your laptop.
tried the ram thing didn't work :( card and power supply working fine I checked/

You was right. Its the Hard disk

lol no its not that old, 2 years maybe at max? And the adopters working absolutely fine.

Back