• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Old Dog, New Trick for Sound Cards

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

DVDR_Dog

Ultimate Donator
Donator
VIP
Nov 5, 2018
Just ran across this studying up on some advanced equipment we have here. Not exactly related BUT
If you have an add on sound device, PCI or USB, first thing to keep in mind is those things need priority for CPU cycles as well as video/audio codecs so my first point is if you want good uninterrupted, crackle free sound you have to make sure sound processing gets top priority and their IRQs always get first dibs.
With that said, I stumbled across a pretty obscure fact I wasn't aware of. If you are having any problems with sound in the above instances, go into your BIOS and under Processor Configuration DISABLE: EIST (GV3) (Enhanced Intel Speed Step Technology). Turns out under some conditions the cores run at different speeds and can fall out of sync causing the disruption. Normally it shouldn't be a problem but when your system requires non-stop CPU processing you can get a hiccup.
I seem to remember somebody asking a question about sound problems a long time ago. I don't forget, I just don't always have immediate answers. :rolleyes:

Back