• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Permanent icon of Windows Update in Settings window

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

Mhaimonie

Feb 20, 2020
Hello, My Operating System: Windows 10 Pro Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.388) Every time I enter to the "Settings" window So at the top of the window, near my name and my picture of my Account I see two icons: 1. "OneDrive - Manage" icon 2. "Windows Update - Updates in progress" icon with an exclamation mark icon in yellow. Now, he keeps writing me a that "Updates in progress" every time i entering to "Settings" No matter when I enter to the "Settings" window And it does not matter if there are no new updates to Windows at all He keeps writing me the sentence: "Updates in progress" all the time! It's make me crazy!
How do I remove these 2 lines marked with a red square in the picture I attached here?

Thanks in advanced

Screenshot_ Permanent images of Windows Update.jpg

Usually Windows is attempting to install a driver (usually a graphics driver) that's a problem.
If your system is an OEM (HP, Dell, etc.) go to the manufacturer's web site and download the appropriate driver for your system. You didn't mention it but the device manager may or may not indicate a problem.
Uninstall the graphics driver from device manager, uninstall the hardware then choose yes to delete the files. Alternately you can try an uninstaller like Revo, that usually works. Make sure you downloaded the correct driver, disconnect the Internet, reboot the system and load the OEM driver you have downloaded.
If that doesn't work we need to clean out your update files cache.
Let us know.

Last edited:
Usually Windows is attempting to install a driver (usually a graphics driver) that's a problem.
If your system is an OEM (HP, Dell, etc.) go to the manufacturer's web site and download the appropriate driver for your system. You didn't mention it but the device manager may or may not indicate a problem.
Uninstall the graphics driver from device manager, uninstall the hardware then choose yes to delete the files. Alternately you can try an uninstaller like Revo, that usually works. Make sure you downloaded the correct driver, disconnect the Internet, reboot the system and load the OEM driver you have downloaded.
If that doesn't work we need to clean out your update files cache.
Let us know.
EDIT:
I was in my computer lab at work Monday. I really think M/S may be playing games with Win 7 updates. I have seen problems like yours solved by just leaving the system running overnight or even longer and suddenly like magic, the update has completed (or so it says).
Just wondering; have you taken a look at the update history on the system in question? Sometimes it can give you a more specific answer than us guessing in the forum based on past experiences.

Back