• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Program that Compares Two Folders and Highlights Duplicates or Missing Files?

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

tatihulot

Dec 8, 2023
Hello, everyone. I’m using the most current version of Windows 11.

I am requesting recommendations for a software program.

What I want to do is compare one folder to another, and display the items that are in one of the folders, but not another.
(Or, display duplicates.)

For example, let’s say I have a folder on my C drive that contains the following video files:

display.mp4

connection.mp4

input.mp4

Now, a folder on my D drive named DATABASE contains the following files:

display.mp4

connection.mp4

results.mp4

I’d like to find a program that will show me which files are missing from the C drive, and/or which files are missing from the D drive.

For example, the results should be something along the lines of this:

C:

RESULTS.MP4

D:

INPUT.MP4

Or….the program can show a list of everything, and highlight which ones are duplicates.

Either option would work for me.

I found a program called WinMerge that is supposed to do something like this, but I must admit, I find the learning curve for that program to be a bit steep.

Does anyone know of another program that will do something like this, that might be a bit more user-friendly? I consider myself computer literate, but WinMerge is a bit confusing for me.

I would be very grateful if anyone knows of a program that does this. Or, can give me a few tips on how to use WinMerge to do this.
I don't want anyone to think I'm knocking WinMerge. I'm just saying I believe it's a bit beyond me.

Thank you very much! T. Hulot

So far I find i have two solutions for you:
1 Best is Xplorer2Ultimate Portable. It's paid program but you can find it out there! It's dual pane which makes it easy to compare two sources.
I set up two folders with same files, then removed two from one side.
1702398098007.png
Next go to Tools/Compare Subfolders
1702398284906.png
And you will get the non-duplicates highlighted as in the first image.

I also tried out FreeCommander XE which is free. Same two folders.
It has feature Folder/Compare:
1702398451530.png
which gave result showing only those files NOT duplicated:
1702398492895.png

I found a working copy here
You will have to mess around with turning on Dual Pane, and setting the View to Horizontal to match my images. I tested this and it works.
Xplorer2 is loaded with features.

Back