• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Quickbooks Help!

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

DVDR_Dog

Ultimate Donator
Donator
VIP
Nov 5, 2018
So I set up this pretty simple Quickbooks multi user setup, as simple as I could. 4 users total.
4 workstations, one server all running Win 7 pro, QB Enterprise 2011.
It ran well for a few years, now there's problems with multi hosting on the server. Currently when a workstation attempts to switch to multi user mode, Quickbooks says there's communication error which is BS, I have gone as far as disabling all firewalls and every user has full Windows permissions for the data file.
Now what happened I think is one user had a problem with multi user access a short time ago, the server may have been doing a restart after updates, other network intermittent glitches, whatever but it a only momentary thing. So this Einstein went into quickbooks and turned on the option to host a multi-user data file on that system. For reasons of back-up and data integrity I host the data on a stand-alone server.
Now the fun and games begin. So instantly users were still loading the data file from the server but were prevented from switching to a multi-user mode. I suspect Quickbooks is confused as it was told to host a multi-user data file in two places so it refuses to enter multi-user mode. Now you would think the simple act of disabling the multi-user/host file on a workstation would fix things, but no.
I have gone as far as deleting the config files on the server and letting another workstation rebuild them, doing a revo uninstall on the system that was wrongly designated as a host system, nothing works. So Quickbooks is hiding this database hosting info somewhere that I can't easily figure out.
I am left with three alternatives 1. someone here knows the magic sauce to fix the database permissions 2. I call Intuit and find out what's happening but I don't even know if they support the 2011 version or how much they will charge me, either way that's total BS. 3. I reverse engineer the Quickbooks and find out exactly what's going on. If I do that I am pissed, it's going to take a lot of time and if that's the case, Inuit is not going to be happy about it in one way or another.
So can anybody help a brother out?

Oh the question has been asked many times. I have to check if I have the share set up as a DFS but I don't think so although Windows 7 networking got a little weird, they straightened it out in 10. Something is locking that file, I saw a bizarre file config file show up on the server so perhaps that's what it was. I am locked into 7 in this setup, don't ask.
Thanks for the suggestions th3m, I refuse to call because they charge you out the butt. Most of the time you get a script monkey who just parrots what's written down and it should be public knowledge but they want you to pay to find out. That's what pisses me off.
I'll update this when I figure it out.

Well I finally figured it out. All in all a pretty sloppy piece of code.
Before I go on this is an accounting program, the interface is pretty straightforward and it works quite well for many people.
Now for the code part. It appears to be a mish mash of modules written by subs all cobbled together. I guess that's OK if all you are looking for is numbers to come out of the other end. That's great until things go wrong, the debugging can be very hard. Intuit used to support an army of "experts" that knew their way around the maze but the program does tend to change quite a bit sometimes. There's the problem, you have Intuit supplying scripts and helper programs to these people and they will bail you out for a fee. Now without those scripts authored by folks that know how the current version flows it's good f'ing luck. Intuit doesn't seem to care about left-over artifacts from older versions so config files and dll's are literally squirreled all over the place at least in Windows. It's almost impossible to figure out what's necessary and what's fluff.
My journey lead me to the conclusion that it seems the admin account has super config powers. In this version once they were set,you couldn't get them to reset. So in addition to deleting all the normal config (ND) files I had to do a revo uninstall on the admin machine and go through the entire file system looking for config files, they are uninstalled What I found was shameful. Talk about a bowl of spaghetti and mind you half the stuff wasn't needed. That's what you get for subbing out all your programming work on the cheap.
Oh yeah and before I forget Intuit is trying to move QuickBooks on-line as a SAS. Based on what I have been of their networking skills, I don't think so. It has also eliminated their army of experts who are pissed since they aren't making money off of QuickBooks consults anymore.

Back