• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Run as Administrator works, runas command doesn´t

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

Louiss97

May 22, 2020
Hi at all,

I hope my english is good enought to explain my problem to you.

I have a Win 10 PC and there are 2 Accounts on it, Admin and Employees. The Pc is going to be for the cash counter in a Bar.
So Employees shouldn´t have rights to change the system at all.

The Programm for the Cashcounter needs admin rights. download ringtones free
If I start by Contextmenu "run as administrator" I need to promt the admin Password and it works great.

unfortunately i can´t give the admin pw to the employees of course. So I need an option to start that Program with admin rights or as admin without needing to type the pw.

the runas.exe should do the trick, but when I start the programm - It dumbs with the first click. It starts as admin but wont run. So there might be a difference in using Contextmenu "run as administrator" and the command in the .ink-file:

runas /profile /savecred /user:Admin "C:\Program Files (x86)\Cashcounter\cashcounter.exe"

Does anyone know why or even better, does anyone know how to get the Programm to run as admin without needing to type in the Password.
samsung ringtones

Thanks in advance and best regards!

Last edited:
Hi at all,

I hope my english is good enought to explain my problem to you.

I have a Win 10 PC and there are 2 Accounts on it, Admin and Employees. The Pc is going to be for the cash counter in a Bar.
So Employees shouldn´t have rights to change the system at all.

The Programm for the Cashcounter needs admin rights.
If I start by Contextmenu "run as administrator" I need to promt the admin Password and it works great.

unfortunately i can´t give the admin pw to the employees of course. So I need an option to start that Program with admin rights or as admin without needing to type the pw.

the runas.exe should do the trick, but when I start the programm - It dumbs with the first click. It starts as admin but wont run. So there might be a difference in using Contextmenu "run as administrator" and the command in the .ink-file:

runas /profile /savecred /user:Admin "C:\Program Files (x86)\Cashcounter\cashcounter.exe"

Does anyone know why or even better, does anyone know how to get the Programm to run as admin without needing to type in the Password.

Thanks in advance and best regards!
From M/S help center:
You may try giving permissions to the standard user. Check to see if the following helps.

a. Log in as an administrator.

b. Navigate to the program`s .exe file.

c. Right click on it and select Properties.

d. Click Security. Click Edit.

e. Select the user and place a check mark on Full Control under “Allow” in “Permissions for”.

f. Click Apply and OK.

Now log on to the standard user and check if it works fine.

To answer your second question, this program handles money and transactions which could be sensitive data for some user's application. The software author deemed it important.

That's same problem I had some time ago. For me it was iVMS-4200 from Hikvision, since we needed upgrade for newer version program started demand admin rights for running, but our employees has only partiall access (standard and default users).

I also tried to solve it through runas.exe firstly, but I was stuck at your point, where it starts as admin but won't run.

So workaround that was to manage the saved credentials in “Manage Windows Credentials“, but still there were many issues with running iVMS even with rights for exe file.

Lastly I had to create another account with some hybrid rights (user in admin group, but with only partial rights for system and full control over hikvision folder).
The guide DVDR_Dog posted earlier didn't work for me either, but you can still try it. It's much simplier than trying to run in through runas.exe, or managing whole set of rights.

it is possible to do it, when you understand how the permissions work in windows ten, giving a certain group, like 'employees' access to a certain program to run 'as administrator' in just that situation
alternatively, you can just trust your employees to not f* up the system and let it run; if that's all it really does, then so what
like you say to your employees, "if you f* this up, your in trouble" lol
but, probably better to just have a more secure system they can't screw up, cause for some reason ppl do
it is funny though

[seems to me that the software should have a support page on the internet with all the relevant information]

a good cash program like that should have permissions within the program and ability to run on a non-adminstrator windows login
maybe just get a better cash program

I had some time on my hands today. I went on a killer hike earlier and I needed some backside time.
So here's the scoop:
After some poking around I figure you are using this software:
I don't know why you would have multiple users with different privileges but so be it.
Now here's the problem:
Go here and scroll down to #10
https://dennisbabkin.com/php/faq.php?what=sotcc&ver=1.3.14
So in reality it's not a program, it's an app. With that being said it's not going have to play by the normal rules of User Control. The code is going have to be fiddled with in order to do what you are asking as far as I am know. Here's a case I hope you have a legit copy b/c I see some cracked versions exist. Since we are talking money I would approach the author and request the change to suit your needs, he seems rather compliant to do so and you would hope to maintain some security.
Sorry for the bad news and good luck.

here is a 'free' alternative POS 'app'
and on the right side of the screen you can click a button to give you 36 'alternatives to' it

the 'square' app seems to be the most popular
and also 45 alternatives to it

here's a nice looking bitcoin payment processor for merchants

Back