• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Saving

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

Sam Waylen

Nov 29, 2021
Dear Forum Participants ......
Pleasse forgive the ignorance of this novice computer user here, but I am STUCK.......
When I have finished working on a project for the day I save it.
I draw up the list on the Left Hand side of the various places where data can be saved.
There are titles for these.
Such titles include " Documents " , " Pictures ", " Music ", "Videos " " C Drive " and too various others.
I believe these are a combination of factory - installed and user- specific places.

Can they be interchangeable...i.e. can I store " Documents " under " Pictures" or " Music ? "

Can I store Photograph under " Downloads ?"

When I am told that I don't have " Permission " surely as the owner of the computer I can GIVE myself permission ?
Also, I am told ,with regard to some of my attempts to store things that I do not have the " Administrative " Right to store in this or that place,

Who " Administrates " my computer if it is not me ?

If you have to trouble saving to the C drive or any non-user area (such as a system folder), and your program doesn't let you, the only way to fix that is to right click on the program icon, click properties, go to the compatibility tab, check the option to run as administrator, and then click apply and ok. Then next time you open the program, just give it admin rights when prompted and problem solved.

Sam Big Question. When you mention "My Computer" is it your personal computer or is it work or school supplied? If so, you only have the group privileges granted by your network's administrator.
If that's the case, you would do better asking your network's administrator on privileges and see what you might have them change.
The only other scenario would be you inherited the system that had these restrictions imposed. You could remove the password and promote you account type to administrator but a far simpler solution would a fresh install of Windows operating system with your account as a native administrator and full privileges.

Since you are new and learning, start with what the Dog said.
But a word to the wise for the future:
If this is your own computer, or eventually you get one, may i suggest you never save your data in a Windows controlled folder like My Anything. These are always on the C drive, created by Windoze, and should there be some update and things glitch, you may lose all your files, as Windows will recreate those default folders, but wipe out the data.
This has happened to me more than once over the years. I NEVER put my files in the System Drive. I put them all on other partitions, or on a removable USB drive, which I can unplug and move to other computers when I want. While any Windows auto update will rewrite to the C: drive, it leaves my passive other partitions or drives untouched. Unmolested.

Sam Big Question. When you mention "My Computer" is it your personal computer or is it work or school supplied? If so, you only have the group privileges granted by your network's administrator.
If that's the case, you would do better asking your network's administrator on privileges and see what you might have them change.
The only other scenario would be you inherited the system that had these restrictions imposed. You could remove the password and promote you account type to administrator but a far simpler solution would a fresh install of Windows operating system with your account as a native administrator and full privileges.
Hi there, DVDR_Dog:
Thanks for your reply.
It IS my own computer, bought and paid for, sitting on my work desk.
That is why I feel that since the responsibility of ownership is mine, and mine alone, then there ought not to be anyone else higher up the ladder to whom I am subservient.
HEX a nearby Computer shop installed Windows 10 as an upgrade from W7.
They did not give me a CD or USB on which it was either saved or duplicated, so at the moment I would not know how to remove it and then re-install it.
Removing the password and promoting myself to ' native' administrator might well be less hassle .But you will know better.
Can you let me know please ?

Well Sam the good news is just type Windows 10 download in your favorite search engine, go to the Microsoft site 8gb+ USB thumb drive attached to your system. This provided of course your Windows 7 license (COA) is still attached and the key is readable. Otherwise try a program like ProduKey which is completely legal. Enter this key when you are doing the new install.
Windows 10 is more than likely going to have most if not all the drivers you will need. I prefer to use the manufacturers drivers from their site, but either way is fine.
The point here is you will never know exactly what's going on with your system. A fresh install will be 100% yours from the start. I prefer to keep a new system off the Internet when initiating a fresh install and create a local account rather than tying it to Microsoft.
That's really all you need to know, have fun.

If you have to trouble saving to the C drive or any non-user area (such as a system folder), and your program doesn't let you, the only way to fix that is to right click on the program icon, click properties, go to the compatibility tab, check the option to run as administrator, and then click apply and ok. Then next time you open the program, just give it admin rights when prompted and problem solved.
Dear Thumper,
HEY THANKS....
I FEEL I AM GETTING SOMEWHERE.
But , here is My account of what goes on.
I got my dropdown list of places to save.
Good !
I Right click
And something happens
Great !
I find " Properties " and click.
And, there is NO ' Compatibility ' Tab
There are a number of tabs however.

" LOCATION " " PREVIOUS VERSIONS " " CUSTOMIZE"

Then in the row underneath....three more

" GENERAL " " SHARING " " SECURITY "

I may be simply blindly failing to notice something that is right under my eyes, but , not wanting to make a mistake here I thought it best to get back to you.
Might you still, please be able to help ?

Dear Milleniumkitty Sorry, I got your name wrong.
Sam
I am not sure who Thumper is any more

Once you get your system working, while it's fresh, make an image backup in case things go south later. I use Macrium Reflect Free version. Works well. It has saved me more than once. Store images offline, an external USB drive is good. Make new full image backups periodically like every 6 months, or use the scheduler for incremental backups

Monthly I manually backup my emails to an archive using MailStore which is free. I don't trust online mail services. I can search my emails easily for past conversations.
Backup critical folders like documents, images, address books, financial databases.
I've been using free version of ElephantDrive for some years now; it monitors folders i assign, and backs them up in the cloud automatically.
Backup, backup, backup. the only thing I trust Microsoft to do is screw up the system further. I honestly don't know why people are so convinced newer is better. Israel Inside.jpg

Dear Philalethes,
Thank you for your advice.
You refer to MailStore which you say is free.
Their website says that is is only free for 30 days .
Do you know of another archiving site that STAYS free all the time ?
Sincerely and respectfully
Sam

Sorry....I have just been told about MailStore Home which IS, apparently free.
So my apologies to you for wasting your time

Sorry
Sam

I am retired and retarded...you do not waste my time but rather lend some small purpose to it! Glad you found the free version.

Back