• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Strategy for recovering as much data as possible in Win10

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

Maxbrady

Dec 12, 2019
I've managed to screw up my Win 10 installation so that some things work and some don't, some data is there and some isn't, and some opens and some doesn't. By this I mean that I have data files which I can open and others of the same sort that I can't open. tonos de llamada gratis
I have no system backup but an external hard drive with a backup of much of my data from a while ago (some months or years).
I have another external drive with nothing on it, on which I promise to put a complete backup once things are working as well as they can again. But I'm at a loss as to how to proceed. Does someone have a strategy to suggest or a place to look for one?
samsung tonos de llamada: https://descargartonos.info/samsung
Thanks.

Last edited:
Well first hopefully you haven't set a password, particularly with a m/s account. If that's the case I would hopefully find another system, and if you can directly connect it as a secondary to the system. If not use a USB adapter. Start your exploration there. Depending what you find would pretty much dictate how you want to proceed. The pros would do a forensic full copy of you drive and work with that but I doubt you have the software or hardware to accomplish that. I wouldn't mess with any reclamation software until you determine what exactly is going on. You run the risk of further mucking up what's on there. By all means stop using this drive for Windows or anything, The FAT may indicate a blank space where data you might want is located and Windows will overwrite it and then it may be gone for good.,

I've managed to screw up my Win 10 installation so that some things work and some don't, some data is there and some isn't, and some opens and some doesn't. By this I mean that I have data files which I can open and others of the same sort that I can't open. I have no system backup but an external hard drive with a backup of much of my data from a while ago (some months or years). I have another external drive with nothing on it, on which I promise to put a complete backup once things are working as well as they can again. But I'm at a loss as to how to proceed. Does someone have a strategy to suggest or a place to look for one?
Thanks.
Some times that is as simple as Reinstall or Repair Install the program as needed to open and share that Data.
#2. MS has started to allow you to do as Called "Repair Install." or as such a inplace install.
usually start with C:\user\download folder take the iso for you version, right click the iso and extract to C:\user\download folder. go to the folder and run setup, just like many time I have to REINSTALL Lotus so that my Lotus files will open, same goes with come .docx files, Word gets corrupted.

I've managed to screw up my Win 10 installation so that some things work and some don't, some data is there and some isn't, and some opens and some doesn't. By this I mean that I have data files which I can open and others of the same sort that I can't open. I have no system backup but an external hard drive with a backup of much of my data from a while ago (some months or years). I have another external drive with nothing on it, on which I promise to put a complete backup once things are working as well as they can again. But I'm at a loss as to how to proceed. Does someone have a strategy to suggest or a place to look for one?
Thanks.

Here's what I do.
I use Acronis True Image 2020 but there are others, Macrium is another good one. There are free versions but usually free versions don't allow for scheduling. I have a multiple schedules. Because I have multiple drives. My C:/ is for nothing but OS and software installs. My D:/ drive is for my data (ie. Documents, Music, Pictures, etc.) all the directories Windows sets up on install. On install I redirect Windows to save those to the D:/ drive. you will save your self a lot of misery by adopting this procedure. I have documents from the 80's and have retained them thru literally hundreds of OS crashes, clean installs, hardware failures, and various other reasons. But I digress.
Now for the scheduling. Weekly I do a complete image backup of my C:/ drive to an internal archive drive. In my case F:/, a 4TB . These are single version images; meaning they delete the previous weeks image. My E:/ drive is for Downloads. Which is somewhat unnecessary nowadays because software and licences can easily be recovered from the vendors cloud. That use not to be the case back in the day. Not only that, sometimes I download what might be considered unscrupulous Applications that I prefer to isolate from the rest of the system. Of course your situation will be different. This policy was set from a much less reliable time of hardware data storage and pre-cloud. You might want to explore offsite cloud storage for your backups. And, once again I've wandered. In addition to my weekly I do a monthly image to an external drive. This give a fall back just in case your weekly image is corrupted. Acronis checks for corruption but, just incase. I also, do an weekly incremental (meaning only what has changed since the previous backup) of my data from both C:/Users and D:/Users with a full backup monthly. I include the C:/Users because sometimes older software insist on saving data there. Again, your situation may be different. If you schedule your incrementals to be kept for 3 weeks you'll have recovery of data from 4 weeks. So, if you accidentally delete a letter or picture you'll be able to recover it. Once you get started you'll probably have a totally different schedules for different data and hardware situation. On top of that Cloud Storage opens a whole different options and situations.
Hope this helps. GOOD LUCK! ! !

Search Results
Web Result with Site Links
Macrium Software

Here's what I do.
I use Acronis True Image 2020 but there are others, Macrium is another good one. There are free versions but usually free versions don't allow for scheduling. I have a multiple schedules. Because I have multiple drives. My C:/ is for nothing but OS and software installs. My D:/ drive is for my data (ie. Documents, Music, Pictures, etc.) all the directories Windows sets up on install. On install I redirect Windows to save those to the D:/ drive. you will save your self a lot of misery by adopting this procedure. I have documents from the 80's and have retained them thru literally hundreds of OS crashes, clean installs, hardware failures, and various other reasons. But I digress.
Now for the scheduling. Weekly I do a complete image backup of my C:/ drive to an internal archive drive. In my case F:/, a 4TB . These are single version images; meaning they delete the previous weeks image. My E:/ drive is for Downloads. Which is somewhat unnecessary nowadays because software and licences can easily be recovered from the vendors cloud. That use not to be the case back in the day. Not only that, sometimes I download what might be considered unscrupulous Applications that I prefer to isolate from the rest of the system. Of course your situation will be different. This policy was set from a much less reliable time of hardware data storage and pre-cloud. You might want to explore offsite cloud storage for your backups. And, once again I've wandered. In addition to my weekly I do a monthly image to an external drive. This give a fall back just in case your weekly image is corrupted. Acronis checks for corruption but, just incase. I also, do an weekly incremental (meaning only what has changed since the previous backup) of my data from both C:/Users and D:/Users with a full backup monthly. I include the C:/Users because sometimes older software insist on saving data there. Again, your situation may be different. If you schedule your incrementals to be kept for 3 weeks you'll have recovery of data from 4 weeks. So, if you accidentally delete a letter or picture you'll be able to recover it. Once you get started you'll probably have a totally different schedules for different data and hardware situation. On top of that Cloud Storage opens a whole different options and situations.
Hope this helps. GOOD LUCK! ! !

Search Results
Web Result with Site Links
Macrium Software

Been using Macrium software last few years, works great for me.

Please ignore all of tolikkk's posts and do not follow any links provided.

Been using Macrium software last few years, works great for me.
We should start a thread devoted to user experiences with backup software. I have read so many differing opinions by the experts on this software. Personally I trust the users' opinions on here much more. So a couple of you have already weighed in. Personally the only software I ever used was Ghost and not for a long time. For networks I maintain I rely on Win 10 restore and a good offsite data backup. I figure if it's a hard drive failure mirroring the hard drive would have been a better solution. Otherwise a restore or reload gets rid off all the junk users almost always figure a way to get on their systems. So looking at my solution I guess I am a bit lazy..

Next member's take on this subject please.....

We should start a thread devoted to user experiences with backup software. I have read so many differing opinions by the experts on this software. Personally I trust the users' opinions on here much more. So a couple of you have already weighed in. Personally the only software I ever used was Ghost and not for a long time. For networks I maintain I rely on Win 10 restore and a good offsite data backup. I figure if it's a hard drive failure mirroring the hard drive would have been a better solution. Otherwise a restore or reload gets rid off all the junk users almost always figure a way to get on their systems. So looking at my solution I guess I am a bit lazy..

Next member's take on this subject please.....

Which software do you use for backup @DVDR_Dog ?

Me? Good luck and Google drive. The only time I need a reload I have done something stupid or my registry is so clogged up with software testing residual junk it's better just to reload. Nothing like a fresh clean install with the latest ISO from M/S. I keep a copy of the drivers and important software in the cloud.
You system is always happiest with a nice clean shiny install that avoids all the questionable M/S updates.

Back