• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

System Restore turning off

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

Howcho

Aug 8, 2019
About a week ago I was mucking about with my laptop, after making sure that system restore was active and had a good restore point. After I had mucked about too much I decided to restore it, but windows showed that there were no restore points and the SR was not on. I ended up having to reset my laptop to factory default. On my fresh (Win 10 Home Version 1809) install, the first thing I did was to make sure SR was on and configured. Then I started reinstalling apps etc. When running a driver check program, the app tried to create a restore point but informed me that SR was not on or configured. I checked for myself and indeed this was true. Might anyone have seen this before? It has me a bit baffled.

Windows restore is a finicky thing. I know it gets funky when it perceives a problem with HD free space and the keyword is perceive. I already mentioned I get to work on a ton of systems of all makes and sizes. I will preface this by saying I don't use system restore much at all, I don't trust it and that's probably just a phobia of mine.

So anyway on-topic I have found SR isn't really fond of SSD maybe just from some manufacturers and there is a difference. Just to help me understand this condition exists with a naked fresh install right out of the box as they say? If not that's a great place to start troubleshooting. In my mind it's either got to be SR isn't seeing the boot partition properly, some wacky hard drive driver, format, or partition property that SR is saying no way to.
Otherwise if you have installed any programs or utilities they may be at fault.

You have already gone through the standard drill of making sure all the right boxes are checked and disk space allocated or you wouldn't be here I trust. If not go ahead and run the standard Internet checklist for enabling SR before all else.
Sorry I couldn't be more help. SR is a very odd soul indeed. Maybe someone else knows something I don't.

I have a set up with and SSD for my C: drive and HDD for D: drive. I want to keep system protection/system restore cause it's very useful for me. however, i want to move the system protection folder location of the C: ssd Drive to the HDD cause it's taking up space. Is that possible? Or is each system protection folder linked to each drive and cannot be moved?

No sorry. It's not normally possible to have Windows Restore to create back-ups on another drive. I think maybe SR is having a problem with your SSD was well, it wouldn't be the first time. You can try to go to that drive manufacturers site's forum or ask Dr. Google to get specific information. It's controller specific and all these brands have a programming ROM flavor. It can be done but you need persistence. It takes time to see if SR is truly working.

Indeed the correct answer is simply do not use system restore. It takes space on your hd/ss drive and it uses write cycles, but only if you actually make a restore point.

It is a bandaid solution to whatever problem you have anyway, instead of a complete re-install, but you'd rather have a clean re-do that what system restore does for you, imo.
But of course wouldn't it be nice if it worked, like how they finally got 'sleep' to work?
The problem is the multitude of different hardwares.
If it is or might be the ssd then perhaps your ssd manufacturer has a solution or a forum to discuss this.

first things since you like and use Restore. take you bootable media that you made. insert and open then use setup, thi si called a System Repair. that should fix e very thing that you MUCKED UP. I then recommend you stop the mucking around. so if you know script MS has offered this.
open command prompt as admin or PS with Admin run 1 line at a time
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

sfc /scannow

Back