• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Try as I may, I cannot see a certain computer from another on my home network

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

Jim Rockford

Sep 30, 2021
I have a PC running Windows running Windows 10 ver. 22H2 and a laptop running the same, except for a minor variation in the build. Both have an OS partition and a Data partition. I want to access the Data partition of the other from each machine, but cannot. I am able to see and map to the laptop from the PC, but am unable to see ot map to the PC. I can see the laptop from the PC and copy and move files to it and even back to the PC, but all from the PC. Of course, I can ping each computer from the other. I have turned on File and printer sharing on both and made the relevant folders shared on both machines.I have also set the Function Discovery Provider Host, Function Discovery Resource Publication and UPnP Device Host to Automatic. I am able to use my comparison software to copy files back and forth. I also am able to use Microsoft Garage mouse software to control; both machines with one keyboard and mouse. I have turned off all firewalls on both machines. I have even turned off IP6 for the adapter on both machines. Oddly, I can access the PC's Public folder from the laptop but not the drive and folders I need. But, I still do not see the PC in the laptop's Network to be able to access it. I am using the same network over wired Ethernet.

Any ideas? Totally puzzled! TIA.

Last edited:
I have a PC running Windows running Windows 10 ver. 22H2 and a laptop running the same, except for a minor variation in the build. Both have an OS partition and a Data partition. I want to access the Data partition of the other from each machine, but cannot. I am able to see and map to the laptop from the PC, but am unable to see ot map to the PC. I can see the laptop from the PC and copy and move files to it and even back to the PC, but all from the PC. Of course, I can ping each computer from the other. I have turned on File and printer sharing on both and made the relevant folders shared on both machines.I have also set the Function Discovery Provider Host, Function Discovery Resource Publication and UPnP Device Host to Automatic. I am able to use my comparison software to copy files back and forth. I also am able to use Microsoft Garage mouse software to control; both machines with one keyboard and mouse. I have turned off all firewalls on both machines. I have even turned off IP6 for the adapter on both machines. Oddly, I can access the PC's Public folder from the laptop but not the drive and folders I need. But, I still do not see the PC in the laptop's Network to be able to access it. I am using the same network over wired Ethernet.

Any ideas? Totally puzzled! TIA.
Someone will get back to you soon.

Had the same problem recently myself. I bought a new modem/router cause I hate paying to rent one. I have 5 Windows10 (all the same ver. 22H2 and build) PC's and 1 Win7 Netbook connected to the network, 4 are wired ethernet and 2 are wifi. After configuring the router and hooking everything up only 2 of the computers could see everything on the network. Read the stuff at Microsoft support and a bunch of other sites. Tried all the stuff you did plus. After much hair pulling and running around to configure each machine I managed to get all of them but one to show up. Finally gave up on the last one and just mapped the drive and put a shortcut on the desktops of the computers that need it.
One simple thing that I found that worked to get 2 of the PC's to show up was to change the network ID from business to private network. Goto System/Settings/About, on the right side you should see Related settings. Select the option Rename this PC (advanced), click on the Network ID button, select the This is a home computer option. Restart your PC. Might work.
To map a network drive just right click This PC and select Map network drive. You will have to know the name of the PC you want to connect to. Fill in using the format \\computername\sharedfoldername and click finish. Also you can goto Network and type in \\computername and you should see all the shares on that computer, right click on the drive or folder and select Map network drive, finish.
I know this is more a workaround rather than a true fix for your problem but I find that mapping the drives is easier than fighting with Windows. Also once you have mapped the drive it will show up in This PC and the right click context menu/send to, which makes it nice and easy to copy/move files around.
Funny thing is that the only PC on my network that can see ALL the network computers is my Win7 netbook, go figure.
P.S. Its \\localhost

Ive had this recurring issue since Windows 7. I generally have to uninstall all my networking driver sets and reinstall starting from the head of the network chain onwards one at a time confirming each connection. I just love Microsoft downgrades, I mean corrections, i mean rushed coding, I mean updates.

First thing to try is turn off DCHP and assign your systems static IPs, at least you give networking anther point of reference besides the MAC address. What drives me nuts is the gone today, here tomorrow business Windows has started pulling. Try to access a remote file and you get the no privileges BS. Try it again in 15 seconds and it's all good now. Has anyone ever had Windows troubleshooter fix anything? I am convinced it's Microsoft's way of turning us into Beta testers and it's more of an error reporting service rather than a true attempt to fix things.

If the block is in the prime chain member the troubleshooting stops there. Can I ask, do you use router ports or do you have a switch setup?

Another option is to consider using a VPN to hide your IP address and potentially resolve network visibility issues. Because I already use this FastestVPN for my computer.
What??? That makes absolutely no sense other than an ad for a VPN. #1 the network wouldn't accept a VPN IP because it would be out of range even if you could generate it on a local network. Let's say you could. How would that help other network members ID that member "better"?
It has to do with local machine specific permissions. Microsoft has futzed that all up since Win 10 in an effort to bolster security leaving most of the control up to the network server if you have one. It's become a very frustrating moving target otherwise as grossly undocumented patches and upgrades keep changing the game. It is designed to keep the average home user from getting into trouble, I understand and documenting changes well would just shorten the time before hackers devise a work-around.

Back