• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

uefi bios

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

oldmanau

Jul 4, 2019
i have a rog motherboard which is an hero vii and i am having trouble with the uefi bios.i downloade a diagnostic tool from the rog site and after running the diag tool it came up and said the uefi bios is not enabled.how do i activate the uefi bios because i downloaded the latest bios and installed it just in case that was the problem.no luck.if any one can help i would be grateful.bill

Go into the bios setup and look for an option "enable UEFI" or disable legacy mode or something. I don't have an ROG board handy so can't look up the exact name used, but it's just an option that needs to be enabled, that is now being reported as disabled by the diagnostic tool. Look through the settings, ROG bios'es tend to be be huge so take your time, it's there.

Also do not forget if it's in legacy mode now, and windows is already installed, when you try to boot it, it will bluescreen. There are ways to mod it in safe mode so it'll boot again, but I really do not recommend that, unless you really know what you're doing.

Best practice, if it needs to be changed is to re-install your windows completely. In general there is absolutely no reason today to not run in UEFI mode, unless you're dealing with legacy hardware.

Last edited:
I am going to be honest with my own experiences. UEFI is a headache that was never really implemented properly. It seems to vary from manufacturer, year of issue. It was a good idea but every single system I get from a commercial customer which is a ton and from very different different business environments the BIOS has been set to legacy. Maybe all those sysops are trying to tell us something? Secure boot? Meh.
If you get a system from the factory and use their partition to restore, OK. Otherwise if you are doing a roll your own install trying to get everything to line up, the right drivers, the proper HD format is a huge pain. Why? It varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, year to year. It's the same reason outside of Sun's environment (now Oracle) Java is basically a flop. Everybody has their own idea on how it should be and that's not always crystal clear nor is it easy to keep track of from brand to brand.
Policy at my company is legacy to do a DOD software wipe on incoming HD's on customer's recycled systems and it stays that way. As you can see with oldmanau it confuses the heck out of consumers, is very poorly documented and not necessary.

you could try downgrading your bios instead, flash back to a previous version

i took jamvarus advice and back dated the bios to when i bought the computer.it made no difference.i also took kamisamas advice and spent some time going through the bios setup.i found the uefi bios and also the legacy bios but after i changed every thing to legacy it still made no difference.i changed the settings to uefi and legacy but no change.after all this i am thinking of formating my hard drives and starting from scratch.thanks for all the advice this is a great site for helping people like me who need advice so thank you once again.

i ended up doing a doing a full restore of win10 on both hard drives.same problem.as far as linux is concerned i know nothing at all about that os.when i know nothing about programs i wont touch them because i am worried about getting into more strife than i already am.i am afraid my motherboard might have a problem.thanks for the reply.oldmanau

Bad ASUS mobo? Good luck with that. Never got their bad taste out of my mouth after they screwed all their mobo owners by not honoring their warranty when the electrolytic capacitors failed. I don't hold their laptops in very high regards either.

well, the thing about linux is, why i suggest it, is that you don't have to worry about anything, because you can run it from a cd-rom or dvd-rom or a flash drive or usb drive, or some other way, and it is extremely easy
so, if your system can't boot it, say to a 'live cd-rom' version, then you do indeed have a problem
there are 'rescue discs' that are not linux based, but there is no reason to use them over the linux one, except possibly for trying to fix a windows system using a windows based rescue cd
not trying something because you have never tried it is no way to live

i think i replied to this thread thinking it was a different thread, so it may not be relevant to bother with the linux-cd, lol
just to be sure, your problem is you try to enable the uefi bios, meaning boot in uefi mode instead of legacy mode, but it doesn't work?

question to mod, if the system was installed in legacy mode, wouldn't you need to boot in legacy mode?

If your BIOs is messed up recommend you use the Flash1571847554992.png BACK
1571847554992.png1571847554992.png then 3.2 BIOS setup programUse the BIOS Setup to update the BIOS or configure its parameters. The BIOS screen include navigation keys and brief onscreen help to guide you in using the BIOS Setup program.Entering BIOS at startupTo enter BIOS Setup at startup, press <Delete> or <F2> during the Power-On Self Test (POST). If you do not press <Delete> or <F2>, POST continues with its routines.Entering BIOS Setup after POSTTo enter BIOS Setup after POST:• Press <Ctrl>+<Alt>+<Delete> simultaneously.• Press the reset button on the system chassis.• Press the power button to turn the system off then back on. Do this option only if you failed to enter BIOS Setup using the first two options.After doing either of the three options, press <Delete> key to enter BIOS.
then BIOS menu screenThe BIOS Setup program can be used under two modes: EZ Mode and Advanced Mode. You can change modes from Setup Mode in Boot menu or by pressing the <F7> hotkey

Back