• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Unlocking an iPhone

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

DVDR_Dog

Ultimate Donator
Donator
VIP
Nov 5, 2018
OK well my company gets a heck of a lot of phones to recycle. We get some pretty new iPhones that need nothing more than a new battery. Being a thrifty guy there is no way I will shell out the money for an iPhone but I have no problem replacing the battery and keeping the phone for my own use and I get some "A+" condition phones too.
So who cares to help an old dog out? Can anyone at least point me in the right direction on a DIY way to deregister an iPhone? Trust me it's the only way it's going to happen. I am not that hot on the idea but I really need to explore the last technology I haven't used. I promise not to use that stupid default "Hey I have an iPhone, aren't I cool" draw attention to yourself ringtone. You know the old xylophone ringtone crap?
I have been an Android guy since I traded in my Nokia analog flip phone which was an awesome phone. It partially had to do with a huge digital signage company I got off the ground and was later sold by my company and that required I have Android. At one point I was forced to use a Blackberry. I hated the darn hing, don't remember why other than it was clunky.

Hi,

So, you have "old" iphones and you want to replace battery? Then, i think this is good idea, there are alot of n00bs who sell phones when you can replace battery lol.

Hey I forgot to mention I now have a full complement of Apple specific tools from ifixit and Titan. I even have the real thing heat gun. Now I am somewhat of a spoiled brat, I have an endless supply of donors for practicing purposes. If I break them, who cares? I also have a couple of pretty new iPods which I am going to explore the insides. These to are still registered to their owners although they were legitimately recycled by their owners, it's that Apple thing but they are bricks to me. I do follow all e-Steward and HIPAA regs as they apply to data destruction. These machine are always first securely wiped before I proceed.
Yesterday was my biggest retail sales day that I can remember so I need to replenish my inventory before I can play. Pretty cush job, eh? I need some playtime! I could get a whole lot more money than I make here but that would be in a corporate setting. What fun would that be? Pretty much done that a long time ago.

OK well forcing myself to take a break. I have an iPhone 6 (Vz) locked. Can anyone point me in the right direction for a tutorial to unlock it? I don't know anything about it other than it had a VZ sim card and it's former owner recycled it. To be honest, I don't have a clue. Any help would be mucho appreciated.

OK well forcing myself to take a break. I have an iPhone 6 (Vz) locked. Can anyone point me in the right direction for a tutorial to unlock it? I don't know anything about it other than it had a VZ sim card and it's former owner recycled it. To be honest, I don't have a clue. Any help would be mucho appreciated.

Never tried unlocking an iPhone before.

Never tried unlocking an iPhone before.
I am beginning to find out it's not that easy. Apple with their internal database of ownership is a tough nut to crack. I am convinced it can be done. I have checked out a few sites who have had ways to unlock phones but no luck yet as it seems Apple modifies their iOS software every time someone discovers a vulnerability.
I should roll over and grab a year old Samsung, but Androids are too easy. As hard headed as I am as long as it doesn't cost me anything I have a new background project to occupy my idle brain time.
Still looking for anybody's help if you have any experience with these.

Well after some consulting with people who are supposed to know it ain't happening. Apple does have this phone home (server-side based) security. So if their product is locked other than knowing the unlock code is to access Apple's server where the account is located and unlock the device from there. Other than that, Fahgettaboudit! You are SOL. No amount of hacking will change a thing. Reset the system and it must call home during the process. Apple you have to remember is a hardware company. That's where the make their bucks. You use their stuff or you are going to do it the Apple way. That makes it easy for Apple to implement that kind of security.

Windows hardware is 99% non-Microsoft so M/S has no way of enforcing Apple grade security. I have encountered LoJack on laptops. It hasn't entirely stopped the use of the laptop although I understand it can be bricked remotely. What's creepy about it is it's BIOS based and in a ROM part of the BIOS that can't be fiddled with. It phones home at least once sometimes more every time you cold boot Windows. It can only be deactivated remotely by LoJack themselves and only then it can be requested by the registered only. As nasty as the Apple stuff.

So basically I had a couple of former Apple engineers tell me that anyone who says they can bypass or update the ID is full of crap. The group in Israel is a myth based on some old FBI folklore. So if you have an Apple iPhone, iPad, iWhatever if it's locked, you haven't the key and you don't know who the owner is either chop it up for parts, keep it somewhere it's highly visible so you will look so very cool and chic to others. It doesn't matter if you make it work or not. You look good and the world knows it you sheikh.

That concludes today's Apple lesson.

Ya know I should have added something. When you think about it how could LoJack exist in ROM yet be turned on and off. Well here's my thoughts. It's always turned on, Some code must be added to VRAM to keep it quiet and it must be once it's gone it's like Humpty Dumpty (here's a theory on that: http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2013/04/the-origin-of-humpty-dumpty/ ). I have read some reports from users that according to their netstat reading even though LoJack has been deactivated it continues to call home. I guess the LoJack server turns a blind eye. Purely conjecture based on posts and discussions I have had. Don't expect LoJack to comment on it. I permanently deactivate it if it's any system I own. This is an option as long as it's never been activated. No idea how that works BTW. Creeps the heck out of me anyway.

Back