• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Used Commercial Computer Market Severely Affected

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

DVDR_Dog

Ultimate Donator
Donator
VIP
Nov 5, 2018
With the Windows 10 EOL announced, the refurbished computer market has been severely affected.
I visited my old employer earlier this week and they are having a hard time reselling Win 10 systems without the prerequisites for a Win 11 upgrade. Even the retail market is taking a hit. That combined with already reduced new computer sales and 2023 is not turning out to be a good market for all computer sales. The upside is prices are at historic lows. How the manufacturers will respond will be interesting. Will this ultimately force Microsoft to relax the requirements for Windows 11? Stay tuned.

Funny thing when this whole Windows 11 suitability thing started I took it as Microsoft trying to shove their pet project TPM down user's throats and sold the hardware manufacturers on the idea that it would force Windows users to buy new systems to run Windows 11. Once it sinks in for the home user what that means when Win 10 is in twilight and they can't upgrade we all know what happens next. First banking sites and the like will start refusing Win 10 access due to security concerns and the rest will follow. I really haven't talked to admins what their plans may be although all the hundreds of businesses I deal with all are running Win 10 Pro.

Last edited:
I agree with your sentiment, but disagree with your statement that TPM is merely Microsoft's pet project. It's a project of the Trusted Computing Group, of which Microsoft is merely one of about 80 members.

TPM is a legit, albeit not bulletproof, technology with valid applications. However, forcing it on home users is heavy-handed and will ultimately result in security issues as many small business and home users continue to run unpatched Win 10 systems for years past the end of security support.

I think TPM and security is a red herring. I think Microsoft's true goal is to rid itself of as much legacy support as they can, cutting their code base and thereby their costs.

I agree with your sentiment, but disagree with your statement that TPM is merely Microsoft's pet project. It's a project of the Trusted Computing Group, of which Microsoft is merely one of about 80 members.

TPM is a legit, albeit not bulletproof, technology with valid applications. However, forcing it on home users is heavy-handed and will ultimately result in security issues as many small business and home users continue to run unpatched Win 10 systems for years past the end of security support.

I think TPM and security is a red herring. I think Microsoft's true goal is to rid itself of as much legacy support as they can, cutting their code base and thereby their costs.
Absolutely right. The point is with DaaS and more and more services moving to the cloud, how much more computing power do you need? That being said, browsers need to become more secure as they are going to become the overwhelming vector for breeches. Companies like Cisco are really changing their role in security moving forward. They have sophisticated firewalls that can adapt to the climate as they are needed. DDoS attacks have taught us that we need to be vigilant for traffic moving in and out of the networks. Granted TPM was once a good project but once a bunch of major players become involved it's diluted, delayed and misses the mark now. Java although a different thing entirely teaches us what happens when you get a bunch of major players and egos involved.

Last edited:
With the Windows 10 EOL announced, the refurbished computer market has been severely affected.
I visited my old employer earlier this week and they are having a hard time reselling Win 10 systems without the prerequisites for a Win 11 upgrade. Even the retail market is taking a hit. That combined with already reduced new computer sales and 2023 is not turning out to be a good market for all computer sales. The upside is prices are at historic lows. How the manufacturers will respond will be interesting. Will this ultimately force Microsoft to relax the requirements for Windows 11? Stay tuned.

Funny thing when this whole Windows 11 suitability thing started I took it as Microsoft trying to shove their pet project TPM down user's throats and sold the hardware manufacturers on the idea that it would force Windows users to buy new systems to run Windows 11. Once it sinks in for the home user what that means when Win 10 is in twilight and they can't upgrade we all know what happens next. First banking sites and the like will start refusing Win 10 access due to security concerns and the rest will follow. I really haven't talked to admins what their plans may be although all the hundreds of businesses I deal with all are running Win 10 Pro.
To me it was a way to force you to purchase a new unit with TPM

Back