• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

What's Your Favorite Media Player? (Don't be shy!)

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

DVDR_Dog

Ultimate Donator
Donator
VIP
Nov 5, 2018
For the moment I have settled on a couple that seem to do everything I need and suits the multi-media setup I currently have.

For audio I use AIMP. It's free which is always a good thing and their suite of sound effects allow me to customize the output to suit my 2.1 setup.

For video and I know this may shock you: Windows Movie & TV Player with (and this is VERY important) the
Microsoft HEVC Video Extensions installed.
Now I have been a fan boy of VLAN player for over a decade BUT it's getting a little clunky now. It's strengths were it didn't require codecs for many formats, it went the splitter route instead. This was great during the codec wars when it seemed there were hundreds of codecs or their variations and no one could settle on a format not to mention the .MOV vs .WMV war which they both lost, and who can remember the PAL vs. NTSC debacle? Granted VLC can play a broken video that has missing or damaged info missing from the file's header which makes it unique. I have always said that VLC could play the lid off a can of kitty meat. However times have changed I am sitting here with a 55" screen with 3840 x 2160 resolution and VLC ain't cutting it anymore. I still install it and it's my go to when nothing else will play the file but it's gotten a little long in the tooth so to speak.

OK Now it's your turn.

audio - AIMP3 / Foobar2000
video - Daum Potplayer
Potplayer is worth another look. In my ahem DVDR days codecs were a nightmare. 32 bit P3 or P4 PCs with mostly 512mb RAM, well you get the picture. The problem with loading a codec pack is every time you try a play a video your system has to go thru the entire pile of them. That was Potplayer or whatever it was called back then weakness.
It looks pretty fun now, I'll have to play around with it when I get a chance.
Thanks for reminding of this Father_of_Dragons, I have been a video freak since they invented VFW. It's probably what pulled me in to serious computing in the first place,

VLC is still a must for me since I want subs. It has buggy but built in sub searcher. Otherwise I use various sub sites like OpenSubtitles.

And then one can adjust sub sync if needed in VLC. Windoze media player is pretty stripped of add-on features like screenshot which I use all the time on youtube vids.

I looked at AIMP again on your suggest, nice clean interface...BUT... for visualizations I've never found anything close to Milkdrop in good old Winamp, and for this alone, I keep it as default player. The choices in AIMP are pretty sucky that I investigated.

For the moment I have settled on a couple that seem to do everything I need and suits the multi-media setup I currently have.

For audio I use AIMP. It's free which is always a good thing and their suite of sound effects allow me to customize the output to suit my 2.1 setup.

For video and I know this may shock you: Windows Movie & TV Player with (and this is VERY important) the
Microsoft HEVC Video Extensions installed.
Now I have been a fan boy of VLAN player for over a decade BUT it's getting a little clunky now. It's strengths were it didn't require codecs for many formats, it went the splitter route instead. This was great during the codec wars when it seemed there were hundreds of codecs or their variations and no one could settle on a format not to mention the .MOV vs .WMV war which they both lost, and who can remember the PAL vs. NTSC debacle? Granted VLC can play a broken video that has missing or damaged info missing from the file's header which makes it unique. I have always said that VLC could play the lid off a can of kitty meat. However times have changed I am sitting here with a 55" screen with 3840 x 2160 resolution and VLC ain't cutting it anymore. I still install it and it's my go to when nothing else will play the file but it's gotten a little long in the tooth so to speak.

OK Now it's your turn.
VLC def. for vids but Music Bee for best audio playback.

Back