• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Windows 10 activation types

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

DisposableVM

Jan 11, 2020
Hello, new guy here :)

I'm currently attempting to migrate from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and since I've never used W10 before the installation/update has proven to be quite a hassle. Anyway, I have a question about W10 activation. Which type of activation would you recommend and why? I am hopefully looking for something like a one-time offline activation. For example I would like to do the activation during or shortly after installation and not have to worry about it again. I know KMS is not the right answer because it requires periodic access to the internet (it's not offline). There are all kinds of W10 installation images available, but a lot of them use the KMS activators which is not what I ideally want. I think the images that use KMS are called VOLUME licenses or something like that. The trouble is most images do not specify what type they are.

Cheers!

Honestly if you can find any junk system with a Win 7 COA attached just enter the CD key or whatever you want to call it. A Win 10 ISO will install a fresh copy and activate to match the key (Home or Pro). It will activate when you first go on line and that's it. Forever. M/S doesn't seem to care much about Win anymore. If your copy of Win 7 is legit load the ISO when Win 7 is running and choose can upgrade and that's it. Your system will retain any compatible software after the upgrade. No pain, no strain. Don't waste your time with bootlegs
Office is a whole different story. With KMS Office is a cat and mouse game. I would suspect M/S will change the rules with Office validation soon. That's how they roll with Office. Windows though, no worries and I wouldn't bother with KMS. Too much a pain in the tail when there is a simple solution.

I also need this...
Aside KMS is there any good activator for Windows 10?
I copy the Serial from the COA on any all Windows 7, and use that KEY to Activate. I have never had that fail.
and you can also upgrade to Pro or Enterprise if you can find a Windows 7 Key. and there are many ways to locate that key. It takes very little looking.

Is it safe to activate with third party program?
Personal opinion on that some are very good others are most crap, some use the change key every 30 days,
MS gives you 30 days free, then swap to another key... and use the official ms method to change keys...
some make a bat file to schedule every 30 days... kms38 is the (IMO) best 3d party Activator.

A digital license (called a digital entitlement in Windows 10, Version 1511) is a method of activation in Windows 10 that doesn't require you to enter a product key. A product key is a 25-character code used to activate Windows.

Back