• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Windows 10 November screwup

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

MusicMan

Apr 14, 2018
It seems that the latest windows 10 update has screwed up a lot of computers with a touchscreen.
Every time Windows has a new update, I spend most of my time repairing my computer. It seems to really bother MS when I make my "personal settings" MY personal settings. Every time they update, they change them back the way THEY want them. Some of my programs I use only once or twice a month, and then I spend the better part of a morning trying to reset them the way I want them to be.
Their latest update really screwed up my Wife's computer, a Dell laptop with a touchscreen. Now it's stuck in a diagnostic boot loop I can't get out of. I can't revert back, I can't un-install the latest update, I can't boot into "safe-mode"...
Does anybody have any ideas on a work-around?

Thought number two...
Perhaps everybody should get together and start a "class action law suit" against Microsoft.

It seems that the latest windows 10 update has screwed up a lot of computers with a touchscreen.
Every time Windows has a new update, I spend most of my time repairing my computer. It seems to really bother MS when I make my "personal settings" MY personal settings. Every time they update, they change them back the way THEY want them. Some of my programs I use only once or twice a month, and then I spend the better part of a morning trying to reset them the way I want them to be.
Their latest update really screwed up my Wife's computer, a Dell laptop with a touchscreen. Now it's stuck in a diagnostic boot loop I can't get out of. I can't revert back, I can't un-install the latest update, I can't boot into "safe-mode"...

Thought number two...
Perhaps everybody should get together and start a "class action law suit" against Microsoft.

Hi,

I had same issue with few windows computers, you need to disable touchscreen in device manager and wait until M$ fix this issue.

If you need help to disable touch screen let me know.

Regards

Hi,

I had same issue with few windows computers, you need to disable touchscreen in device manager and wait until M$ fix this issue.

Regards
How do you get into "device manager" when stuck in a diag. boot loop?
The best I can do is a command prompt, I can't even get into "safe mode".

Thought number two...
being stuck in a boot loop, you need to turnoff the system, insert the DVD or USB Boot, when you restart It should start auto in DVD or USB, (if you changed the boot sequence) then use F11 - 2s after the logo. This lets you access the Boot Menu. (Read the manual) MS will allow you to then chose Repair - MS then should repair to boot option. (Dell, HP have issues with crappy BIOS that might not allow. ) also HP and Dell have the TouchScreen drivers in the Original Disk Driver.....
Thought #2 - Please read the EULA on Windows... You might sue Dell (which it has been done. Dell is your OEM.

Thought number two...

Find and buy a usb mouse. Should be enough to download the TouchScreen drivers and configure.

Thought number two...

I've dealt with Windows since 3.1. I learned early to never upgrade as soon as it comes out. I have always been at least one version behind the current version. I don't even do updates till a few weeks have passed and the bugs are known. Back in the day there was an update every week. So to me MS has come a long way.

As for suing MS. :D:D:D:D:D:D
Good luck!

Good luck!
lol
internet loves this meme: "We should all [do/action] such and such, get rid of the oppressors!"
this is the purpose reason for linux and FOSS, and the GPL etc. GNU, Richard Stallman, Torvalds, et. al.
But I still like to mess around with windows games, so...
I keep finding myself wanting to do a sort of overlay for windows that emulates linux or at least MY windows, like you say, YOUR settings. You can run linux from within windows. I believe there are versions that do not require an emulator, or virtual machine. You can do certain programs that enable linux programs to work, but my recall is faulty at this time, lol.
I'm mostly working at doing a youtube gaming channel at this time, so just happy windows is still working for me. I think i have updates turned on... ? lol, happy new year
perhaps consider for 2020 minimizing your exposure to radiation, magenetic fields, etc. For example bluetooth, wireless routers, wifi, etc. Cell phones. You can use a sleeve that blocks the cell phone radiation. You take the phone out of the sleeve to make or receive a call, text, etc.
Reported increases in hip cancer and other cancers attributed to use of cell phones. (for women breast cancer because of putting the phone in the bra)

Hi,

Regards
Don't you need to be able to boot into windows to access "device manager"?

lol
internet loves this meme: "We should all [do/action] such and such, get rid of the oppressors!"
this is the purpose reason for linux and FOSS, and the GPL etc. GNU, Richard Stallman, Torvalds, et. al.
But I still like to mess around with windows games, so...
I keep finding myself wanting to do a sort of overlay for windows that emulates linux or at least MY windows, like you say, YOUR settings. You can run linux from within windows. I believe there are versions that do not require an emulator, or virtual machine. You can do certain programs that enable linux programs to work, but my recall is faulty at this time, lol.
I'm mostly working at doing a youtube gaming channel at this time, so just happy windows is still working for me. I think i have updates turned on... ? lol, happy new year
perhaps consider for 2020 minimizing your exposure to radiation, magenetic fields, etc. For example bluetooth, wireless routers, wifi, etc. Cell phones. You can use a sleeve that blocks the cell phone radiation. You take the phone out of the sleeve to make or receive a call, text, etc.
Reported increases in hip cancer and other cancers attributed to use of cell phones. (for women breast cancer because of putting the phone in the bra)
LOL

Find and buy a usb mouse. Should be enough to download the TouchScreen drivers and configure.
WHAT???
Do I actually have to BUY a usb mouse? Does the color of the mouse matter?
Perhaps you might share with all of us exactly how you download drivers, or even install them when in a bootloop.
Perhaps if I hold my mouse over my head and move it in a circular 7 pattern while standing on one foot...

I've dealt with Windows since 3.1. I learned early to never upgrade as soon as it comes out. I have always been at least one version behind the current version. I don't even do updates till a few weeks have passed and the bugs are known. Back in the day there was an update every week. So to me MS has come a long way.

Good luck!
Yes, I too have been using Winders (hillbilly version) since DOS 6.1 and windows 3.1 when you actually had to use command lines to start your computer.
However, updates are important. You wouldn't wait a few weeks to get vaccinated for an illness, and you also wouldn't wait a few weeks to update your anti-virus software would you?
Microsoft has always had issues, but ever since Mr. Bill has left the building, Psychosoft has really been screwing things up. At THEIR discretion, they like to remove programs that most of us have used and enjoyed since, forever.

In a closing note, since Windows 10 will supposedly be the last version, only to be updated from time to time, how long do you think it will be before MS starts "RENTING" the Windows OS, like they are now doing with Office 365? And how long before they make retail versions of Office incompatible, like they did with MS Flight Simulator. Soon EVERYTHING will have to be accessed from some on-line site such as Steam.
Uggh!

Sorry for jumping into this so late, been really busy. Yeah I have had a pantload of problems with touchscreen laptops and Windows 10. The good news or the bad news?
The good news is I found a solution.
The bad news is the current load of Win 10 on the laptop is toast. You will have to reload it, no other way I know of around it. You can't disable the touchscreen in the BIOS on most systems and Windows will keep on looping as you have already found out. Safe mode is no help either.
The root of my problem at least lies in the fact that in many of the t/s laptops, AMD and Intel video drivers co-exist. The drivers (64 bit at least) that are doled out by Windows update cause the problem. I guess as individuals they are OK but won't play well together. Get all the OEM drivers esp. video from your system's manufacturer's site and load them all before you connect to the Internet at all to prevent Windows update from sending drivers. (HP laptops are the biggest PIA for me). Once you have loaded all the OEM drivers you should be OK to go on line and to updates. Touchscreens haven't been a problem for me if I follow this procedure.

If you want to hear me rant start a M/S O/S subscription model in another thread. We have briefly hit on that topic so far.

Sorry for jumping into this so late, been really busy. Yeah I have had a pantload of problems with touchscreen laptops and Windows 10. The good news or the bad news?
The good news is I found a solution.
The bad news is the current load of Win 10 on the laptop is toast. You will have to reload it, no other way I know of around it. You can't disable the touchscreen in the BIOS on most systems and Windows will keep on looping as you have already found out. Safe mode is no help either.
The root of my problem at least lies in the fact that in many of the t/s laptops, AMD and Intel video drivers co-exist. The drivers (64 bit at least) that are doled out by Windows update cause the problem. I guess as individuals they are OK but won't play well together. Get all the OEM drivers esp. video from your system's manufacturer's site and load them all before you connect to the Internet at all to prevent Windows update from sending drivers. (HP laptops are the biggest PIA for me). Once you have loaded all the OEM drivers you should be OK to go on line and to updates. Touchscreens haven't been a problem for me if I follow this procedure.

If you want to hear me rant start a M/S O/S subscription model in another thread. We have briefly hit on that topic so far.
I have tried to reset the OS, once to recover, then as a final, to re-install. Both times I got an error that it couldn't be done. So, guess what? All the files have been deleted. Fortunately, Recuva was able to restore the files onto one of MY externals. So, today I decided to upgrade her computer and purchased a 1TB Crucial SSD. Instead of "cloning" the new drive, I am going to do a "fresh install", since windows typically fills up with "junk (leftover)" files from updates, which also clutters the registry, which in turn, slows down the computer.
I too was a little sluggish with the replies, doing to many things at once, but anyway, have a great day.

I am going to do a "fresh install", since windows typically fills up with "junk (leftover)" files from updates, which also clutters the registry, which in turn, slows down the computer.
Yeah the best you can do is grab the latest ISO from M/S (1909) but surprise it needs a few big updates already. M/S has lost the pride they once had in Windows. It's all about the stockholders these days. That darn near killed HP in the hands of Dana.

I don't like doing anything for Windows update,i'm at a loss because of my clumsiness.
I understand Nelson but that's not going to get you out of some problems.
It hasn't come up here but printers unless they are relatively new can be a real problem with Windows 10 and that problem can span across different versions of Win 10. Many times what Windows update offers plain won't work with your printer. The printer manufacturers are far too willing to End-of-Life their hardware and not provide current drivers for their otherwise fully functional printers and all in ones. They want to sell you hardware, supporting what they have already sold costs them money.
If you haven't read it elsewhere most printer drivers written for Windows 8.1 and 8 64 bit will be at least somewhat functional for Win 10. The same may be true of Windows 7 64 bit drivers to a lesser extent.
So unfortunately Nelson even non-power users don't always have the luxury of relying on Windows update.
Fortunately Microsoft allows you to automatically defer updates so others may feel the pain and M/S has a chance to fix the update before you install it.

Back