• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Windows 10 Pro Hyper-v machine cannot get out to internet

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

WonderWoman

Jan 22, 2016
Hello,

I have a situation with a Hyper-v machine. I am in cert school right now and currently in a Linux class. I have a successfully built CentOS VM that is unable to get out to the internet even though it sees both my WiFi and Ethernet adapters. I am on a physical machine with the following configs:

HP Pavilion DV7-6b32US (64 bit)
Win10 Pro fully updated.
16 GB RAM
2 physical HD – C: is a 1TB SSD and I have a 1TB HD

The teachers (I have 2) cannot figure out why I cannot get the VM to connect to the internet through my Ethernet NIC.

Here are screen shots of the settings for both my laptop and the CentOS VM:

Virtual Switch for laptop.jpg

CentOS VM NIC.jpg

I will be needing to be functional shortly with internet access for my class. All suggestions and directions appreciated.

I am using Hyper-v because my laptop would not function to install any sort of Linux in Virtualbox – it would only build Windows VMs, so please don’t suggest I use VB.

Thank you,

Wonder Woman

Attachments

• CentOS VM NIC.jpg
    CentOS VM NIC.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Virtual Switch for laptop.jpg
    Virtual Switch for laptop.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 1
I take it that ipconfig shows 127.0.0.1.
Have you tried binding the the network adaptor? I don't think it's automatic with CentOS.
Try this I found on the web:
  • Access terminal/console
  • Become a root if you are not already
  • Execute "dhclient –v" command
Does that help you?

We cannot find that option in the HV management console......where would that option be in the management GUI console?

Wonder Woman

Does it do that just with Hype-v? The other students in my class that are using VB did not have this problem.

I would guess so. Your operating system is not bound to the network adaptor's IP. If that command isn't working or returning an error then CentOS is having a problem with Hyper-V. You may have to switch hardware. The screen grabs you posted indicate the network adaptor is there, just won't bind.

Well after a little digging (been busy, new toys), you guessed right. Hyper-V is not Ethernet friendly I take it. I found this article which may help. That's about it from me. Good luck.

Sorry it took me a while to reply. That worked perfectly and immediately! It fixed it. Just a curious question though for the future. Did my teachers and I miss something in the GUI for the Hyper-V manager or the machine's settings itself that would allow for the bridging of the NIC?

Back