• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Windows 10 Windows 10 Pro x64 v1607 + Update Issues

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

TRU

Sep 17, 2016
Used mediacreationtool from MS website to upgrade Windows 8.1 (used KMSpico to get genuine 8.1) to Windows 10. As many of you guys probably know the Windows 10 anniversary update was released and brought Windows 10 to version 1607.

Once I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro x64 v1607 everything was just fine. Windows saw it as a genuine, activated copy. But the last few days I'm running into an issue with a new "Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based systems (KB3189866)". It does not seem to want to work! Almost daily I'm getting the "Restart and Update" option but the update always fails.

Downloaded and tried a newer version of KMSpico: v10.8.1... hit the red button, but still the update doesn't seem to want to go through. Before the updates would always work but it seems this one has caused some issues.

Any ideas?

So I managed to figure out the issue here.

I have an SSD where Windows is installed and 2x separate 1TB Caviar Blacks for programs, documents, videos, music, etc.. After I install Windows, I change the default program files & program files x86 install locations in the registry from drive C (SSD where Windows is installed) to drive D (1TB HDD) so that all new programs install on the HDD instead of on the SSD where space is limited.

When I set these registry changes back in the registry to the default Windows drive the update finally went through and worked.

TRU said:
So I managed to figure out the issue here.

I have an SSD where Windows is installed and 2x separate 1TB Caviar Blacks for programs, documents, videos, music, etc.. After I install Windows, I change the default program files & program files x86 install locations in the registry from drive C (SSD where Windows is installed) to drive D (1TB HDD) so that all new programs install on the HDD instead of on the SSD where space is limited.

When I set these registry changes back in the registry to the default Windows drive the update finally went through and worked.

Good to hear it, and thanks for letting us know ;)

Back