• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Windows 11 22h2 Taskbar drag and drop help

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

velivel

Oct 4, 2022
Hi i have moved to 11 and lost ability to just drag things to the taskbar and pin them, and to quickly drag files to software and folders that way. I have the new update that says this is back now but for me its still not working. i have right clicked the taskbar to check all the settings and nothing worked. i have watched lots of videos with ways to help but all dont.
Is there a way to check why its not working or a way to fix it as this has slowed my workflow and is making have to use the macOS more for work but dont want to.
any help would be amazing thanks

That is usually a .NET process if I recall. It's possible your version is corrupt.
You can try this tool to check the version, etc.
.NET checker Major Geeks
I don't use Microsoft's version checker. If all else fails try uninstalling all installed versions of .NET on your system using an uninstall program (Revo?) and loading the current version from Microsoft's site.
Some cracks and even legit programs can have an adverse effect on .NET. If that's not the case then it might be a video driver mess up.
These are all guesses and it's a bitch trying to solve your problem as you already know. Those are both the most logical pathways to check that I can guess.

That is usually a .NET process if I recall. It's possible your version is corrupt.
You can try this tool to check the version, etc.
.NET checker Major Geeks
I don't use Microsoft's version checker. If all else fails try uninstalling all installed versions of .NET on your system using an uninstall program (Revo?) and loading the current version from Microsoft's site.
Some cracks and even legit programs can have an adverse effect on .NET. If that's not the case then it might be a video driver mess up.
These are all guesses and it's a bitch trying to solve your problem as you already know. Those are both the most logical pathways to check that I can guess.
Tried what u said. I just restored windows 10 then 11 from the site 22h2 and still drag to taskbar and get the logo and won’t work.

Oh. I didn't completely understand what you were trying to do. That feature has been removed from Windows 11 for some reason only they know. I think they want to eventually do away with the desktop to make thinks more tablet friendly. Not sure if I did a tweak or what but if you right click on a desktop icon you should get an option to pin to taskbar. Drag and drop to the taskbar is done.

Oh. I didn't completely understand what you were trying to do. That feature has been removed from Windows 11 for some reason only they know. I think they want to eventually do away with the desktop to make thinks more tablet friendly. Not sure if I did a tweak or what but if you right click on a desktop icon you should get an option to pin to taskbar. Drag and drop to the taskbar is done.
They added it back for the new 22h2 update that arrived this last few wk, I have this and it’s just the same. But most videos and reviews all say and show this feature is back. I have no idea why it’s just not working.

You might take a look at "start is back". I know it returns some functions. Funny but there was a program that addressed similar issues when Windows 10 came out.
It's all this move that started with Win 8 that is trying to develop a unified platform across tablets desktops and phones as task bars and desktops don't work out in that environment. I have a tablet running 10 and it's quite clunky compared to IOS. Microsoft tried two operating systems with Win Phone and we all know how that all worked out.

You might take a look at "start is back". I know it returns some functions. Funny but there was a program that addressed similar issues when Windows 10 came out.
It's all this move that started with Win 8 that is trying to develop a unified platform across tablets desktops and phones as task bars and desktops don't work out in that environment. I have a tablet running 10 and it's quite clunky compared to IOS. Microsoft tried two operating systems with Win Phone and we all know how that all worked out.
Thank you , this has got it all working like it should, it’s not the same as the new look but works lot better and helps faster workflow again. Was getting sick of the MacBook Pro os, just can’t get used to it, it’s very slow to move items via it’s drag and drop

Back