• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Windows 11 I Don't Get It

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

DVDR_Dog

Ultimate Donator
Donator
VIP
Nov 5, 2018
I did an upgrade from Win 10 Pro to an i7 Dell Precision 7760 mobile workstation, or did I?
Other than enforcing some Microsoft's security initiative hardware that really wasn't being implemented (it was on this Dell of mine with Win 10) what's the big deal? Microsoft has killed their readiness tool which means they are rethinking the specs for the upgrade. They have also publicly announced they are pushing the EOL for Win 10 until Oct 2025, another year than originally stated.
But really a little different GUI is all I am seeing, the functionality seems the same, they drivers interchange with Win 10 and no more 32 bit version it seems.
To quote The Three Stooges, "What's the hubbub, Bub?".
EDIT:
Sheeit! Windows 11 didn't even get a "new" version of Windows NT, exact same model as Windows 10 (NT 10). Good ol' Windows, same kernel for the last 28 years. Why is it still "new technique" after almost 3 decades now and how about that new file system you keep promising us?
Another Edit:
You know after thinking about it and reading the pop up when using Rufus about secure boot and TPM makes me wonder if M/S is making another Apple play to "own" more of the software you install. It's going to represent problems for you backyard pirates although salvation is usually a registry key or two away. Microsoft has announced a security initiative conference for later on this year. Maybe then we will know the true motives behind Windows 11 because I don't see the end user gaining much other than perhaps gaining some questionable security.

Windows 11's strict hardware requirements cannot be bypassed, Microsoft admits, "We know it sucks... we will still block you"​

Microsoft's Program Manager Aria Carley has confirmed that it would not be possible to bypass Windows 11's TPM 2.0 and Secure Boot requirements once the OS launches some time in October. Insider builds can currently be installed on a wider range of Intel and AMD CPUs, but the OS will support only Intel 8th gen and above and AMD Ryzen 2000 and above consumer processors at launch with no way to bypass these enforcements.
Microsoft is expected to launch Windows 11 some time in October with those in the Insider program already being able to test pre-release builds of the operating system (OS). One of the primary contentions with the new OS is that the official system requirements mandate the presence of a Trusted Platform Module (TPM) 2.0 chip.

While TPM 2.0 and Secure Boot requirements can be bypassed via a registry hack, Microsoft has now confirmed that these methods will not work once the OS becomes widely available.

This information comes from Microsoft Program Manager Aria Carley who, in a response to a question whether devices not fully compatible with Windows 11 would be offered the update via Windows Update, said,

So we talk about this new hardware floor of what devices are eligible and which aren't. And we know it sucks that some aren't going to be eligible for Windows 11. But the reason we're doing that is to keep devices more productive, have a better experience, and most importantly have better security than before so they can stay protected in this new workforce."
Further, responding to whether these safeguards can be bypassed via a group policy edit, Carley said,
That group policy will not enable you to get around the hardware enforcement for Windows 11. We're still going to block you from upgrading your device to an unsupported state since we really want to make sure that your devices stay supported and secure."
This news can be dampening for many who wish to experience the new OS but are being left out despite sporting perfectly capable hardware. For instance, those with AMD Ryzen 1000, Threadripper 1000, and Intel 7th gen and below CPUs are left out from the upgrade.

Microsoft is evaluating performance of Windows 11 on these unsupported CPUs via feedback from the Insider program, but there's no guarantee we will see support for them at launch.

That being said, since Microsoft does offer OEMs a special image that does not warrant a TPM in special cases, it is very much possible that someone will eventually find a way to bypass this.

For those that do have a compatible CPU, be sure to enable your processor's built-in firmware TPM in the BIOS/UEFI — PTT (Platform Trust Technology) for Intel and fTPM (firmware TPM) for AMD.

Windows 11's strict hardware requirements cannot be bypassed, Microsoft admits, "We know it sucks... we will still block you"​

How many times have we heard that? All I have to say is the gauntlet has been thrown. Haha.

I did an upgrade from Win 10 Pro to an i7 Dell Precision 7760 mobile workstation, or did I?
Other than enforcing some Microsoft's security initiative hardware that really wasn't being implemented (it was on this Dell of mine with Win 10) what's the big deal? Microsoft has killed their readiness tool which means they are rethinking the specs for the upgrade. They have also publicly announced they are pushing the EOL for Win 10 until Oct 2025, another year than originally stated.
But really a little different GUI is all I am seeing, the functionality seems the same, they drivers interchange with Win 10 and no more 32 bit version it seems.
To quote The Three Stooges, "What's the hubbub, Bub?".
EDIT:
Sheeit! Windows 11 didn't even get a "new" version of Windows NT, exact same model as Windows 10 (NT 10). Good ol' Windows, same kernel for the last 28 years. Why is it still "new technique" after almost 3 decades now and how about that new file system you keep promising us?
Another Edit:
You know after thinking about it and reading the pop up when using Rufus about secure boot and TPM makes me wonder if M/S is making another Apple play to "own" more of the software you install. It's going to represent problems for you backyard pirates although salvation is usually a registry key or two away. Microsoft has announced a security initiative conference for later on this year. Maybe then we will know the true motives behind Windows 11 because I don't see the end user gaining much other than perhaps gaining some questionable security.
What I notice is a 10mb increase in network speed and that is a very noticable difference. Before Windows 11 my network speeds meaning moving files from one computer to the other via a local IP like 192.168.0.2 was about 28mb with windows 11 it is 38 - 40 average and that is very notiicable. Also with setting the local ip's in my devices wifi and using cloud DNS 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 and 8.8.8.8 I can set my speeds on say qbittorrent and I get whatver speed I set it to globally upto my 1000mb connection. What I notice here is I can set a global speed say 50mb and I allow 3 torrent downlods at all times I always hit the global speed unless the torrentis bad or just slow and I just pause those one for last. The super positive note here is I can download and upload all day long and it has zero slownees to all the devices on the home connection because it is 1000mb and I only use globally 50mb at all times and this entire process with windows 11 is clearly FASTER on the PC's I have tested it on and it is on 3 of my 5 PC Servers.

Windows 11 is far better than Windows 10 already and its not finished yet :)

Last edited:
Why would essentially the same kernel have any bearing on network speeds? I could understand different NIC drivers or perhaps a firewall refinement, so turning off Windows 10 built in firewall would have the same effect. The only only other possible thing would be how memory buffers are allocated but that could be altered by a registry hack and since no one has appeared I doubt that would make much difference.
Sorry unless you can produce the actual mechanism driving all this newly found speed, I am not buying it.

I was not buying at first eitherin after I installed 3 times Windows 10 then Windows 11 and as I stated I notice a difference ASAP. I stand on what I said period :) Windows 11 has noticable load speeds as well as downloads, in qbittorrent do some tests yourself and see as I suspect you will get the notiicable difference.

I will even explain what I do when I fresh install.

After a fresh windows install I do the following for BLAZING internet and network speeds.

After Windows is installed we get the browser we want to use most used Chrome so I will assume that here.

Then we install 2 exrtensions/addons 1= Adguard Adblocker
and popup blocker (strict). These are added so we can visit any/all websites with no advertosements or popups and also make those pages load 4x faster.

After browser is installed lets optimize the Internet adapter(s)

The first thig we optimize in the adapter is the DNS I set one for all devices on our connecton EXAMPLE mine is IPV4 192.168.0.33 255.255.255.0 192.168.0.1 and for the DNS I use 1.1.1.1 1.0.0.1 and 8.8.8.8

My rouder setup has the same DNS 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 Tertiary is 8.8.8.8

For IPV6 I uncheck it = off

Always remember your ISP DNS are slow ands buggy and always will be.

Once that is all set up I install IObit Driver booster and run it to assure all drivers are installed and current I also include all the gaming components.

Once that is done I install IObit Advanced System Care and run it "note I set it to Defrag all the drives in my system" and have it auto reboot when finished

Then I install qbittorrent and restore my settings from a backup so it has the settings the way I like it,.

Now what I have said is going thru these same exact steps in windows 10 versus Windows 11 produces very noticable differences in responce and speed.

Ok that's fair BUT that's hardly a fair comparison of network speed capabilities of both operating systems. So the conclusion you can draw from your experience is that your particular motherboard/peripherals/ISP combination responds very well to the set of tweaks you have done to respective Windows 10 and Windows 11 installs.
Yours seems to be a random example b/c believe you me M/S would be crowing higher network speeds from the rooftop if the increased network speed was common.

Well Microsoft has officially (more or less) issued and explanation of the why's and how's of Windows 11 (at least according to them).
Before I go on let me share something my biology professor who mentored me told me time and time again and lasered it into my brain, and I quote: "When someone starts stating statistical percentages in order to make or prove a point and provides no source and the raw numbers they used to generate those percentages, they are trying to bullshit you." This applies to all the nonsense being presented in regards to COVID-19 but that's another topic. Another big deal is CLEAN DATA. Unless you are told the source, the conditions it was recorded the data can be diddled any way you want. So unless someone quotes statistics without that to back it up (and they will if it's honest and worthwhile) forget it or at least look at it very skeptically. Odds are it's BS meant to further some idea someone feels may be without any concrete evidence.

Windows sources report a 40 - 50% less exposure to malware and extortionware with the hardware resources fully activated and that's directly from Microsoft. Oh yeah? Do the hackers know that?
That's on one breath. On the next breath it's Azure this and Azure that. It's all the rage in IT land. I have chosen to learn the much quieter Google and AWS SAS offerings. #1 because they are not software brand specific and work well in a cross-platform environment. I'll grant Microsoft 365 for the cloud email server if you really need all those bells and whistles, other than that, I don't think so. I could be wrong but I have been growing with M/S since Win 95 days and have a pretty good idea what they can and can't do. The Pentagon bailed on them once they came to their senses.

Ok that's fair BUT that's hardly a fair comparison of network speed capabilities of both operating systems. So the conclusion you can draw from your experience is that your particular motherboard/peripherals/ISP combination responds very well to the set of tweaks you have done to respective Windows 10 and Windows 11 installs.
Yours seems to be a random example b/c believe you me M/S would be crowing higher network speeds from the rooftop if the increased network speed was common.
If you have no tried it exactly the same as I have stated, how can you make any valid comments one way or the other, I mean your opinion is your opinion and unless you tried it your opinion is just that and only that.

Well talk about having some big balls. I just completed a 1 1/2 hr zoom job interview on my Dell laptop with Windows 11. No problems whatsoever although the navigation is a wee bit different on the Windows end.

Back