• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Windows 11

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

Derrick

Oct 6, 2021
Hi all, My wife has a near new HP Laptop with Ryzen 4000 series processor, 16gb memory, and plenty of space on the 512gb SSD. I tried downloading Windows 11 from the windows download site using the installer, the same way I successfully did on my desktop. The installer went through it's steps, saying the laptop was consistent with Windows 11, then downloaded, then started to install. Before I started, I turned off the protection settings for Malwarebytes, and Advanced System Care Ultimate just in case. So the installation went to 70% before stopping, then saying 'Oops something went wrong' and asking me to either use the 'try again' button, or cancel and contact Microsoft for help. I don't understand this because mainly, Microsoft offer no reason through the installer, as to why there was an issue. Also, my desktop is not as powerful as my wife's laptop, and it is at least 18 months older, yet there were no issues with my updating. I did read something that said there had been some issues with AMD processors, does anyone think this could be the issue? I downloaded Microsoft Office 2021 for myself, and it installed fine. After cancelling the Windows 11 update on my wife's laptop, I then installed Microsoft Office 2021 on her laptop again, with no issues at all! Weird.

Hi guys, fixed my own issue with not being so tentative. I upgraded my wife's laptop by downloading the ISO file and doing it that way with no issues. In the past, upgrades like this could be quite deadly if things went wrong, as many of you probably know. So when I am doing these things, I usually try to read up on things as much as possible before going ahead. I don't let things beat me as well, so, faced with something of a setback, I read more, and think more on the subject. Suffice to say, the above procedure sounded as if it may not be the preferred way, but upon reflection was worth giving it a go - and voila! Wife is happy, so am I as the installation went without a flaw, unlike with the online installation program. The trick may have been that the first way was done online with downloads ocurring during the process. Whereas the ISO is a straight download, mounting the ISO and installing from that. The program does go online to check for updates etc, but otherwise, does not depend so much on the internet. Maybe there was some issue for us with the first try, who knows. Anyway, I hope this helps any others who may have issues. On newly using Windows 11, it seems to be mostly a good progression from Win 10.

Hi guys, fixed my own issue with not being so tentative. I upgraded my wife's laptop by downloading the ISO file and doing it that way with no issues. In the past, upgrades like this could be quite deadly if things went wrong, as many of you probably know. So when I am doing these things, I usually try to read up on things as much as possible before going ahead. I don't let things beat me as well, so, faced with something of a setback, I read more, and think more on the subject. Suffice to say, the above procedure sounded as if it may not be the preferred way, but upon reflection was worth giving it a go - and voila! Wife is happy, so am I as the installation went without a flaw, unlike with the online installation program. The trick may have been that the first way was done online with downloads ocurring during the process. Whereas the ISO is a straight download, mounting the ISO and installing from that. The program does go online to check for updates etc, but otherwise, does not depend so much on the internet. Maybe there was some issue for us with the first try, who knows. Anyway, I hope this helps any others who may have issues. On newly using Windows 11, it seems to be mostly a good progression from Win 10.
I do agree with the clean install, who knows what goodies you have left over as a gift from HP and everyone who paid to have their junk installed on your system.
However my man, you have learned the first rule of let's say alternative methods of computing.
As was told to me by a very old and a very highly respected pirate many moons ago, "If at first you don't succeed, hack, hack, hack."
Keep that in mind and accept that there may come a time when you have to wipe your C drive and start fresh and you will go a long way and learn untold secrets.

Latest posts

Back