• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

windows 8.1 will not down load updates

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

oldmanau

Jul 4, 2019
having trouble with 8.1 updating.it will not update any files at all and i was hoping some one could help with what might be causing this.thank you bill.

having trouble with 8.1 updating.it will not update any files at all and i was hoping some one could help with what might be causing this.thank you bill.
Well Bill if you check with the members here they will all tell you how much I love the Windows 8 series <sarcasm>.
Since you are here to learn download the two KB's listed below (make sure you always grab the right version). Use your favorite search engine and use the link that sends you to Microsoft's site.
Choose" Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems" for KB3173424.
KB3172614 is a one size fits all update
you need start your PC totally disconnected from internet (to avoid Windows Update service connect to Microsoft Servers) and then install these updates manually....

KB3173424 (pre-requisite).
KB3172614 (contains the Windows Update client that's holding up downloads).

once both updates are installed, you can connect to internet again, and Windows Update should start to work normally again.

That being said why don't you just update to Windows 10? It's painless and you will thank me 100 times over. I feel like crying after dealing with Windows 8.x. Just search for Windows 10 upgrade and go to the Microsoft link, follow the instructions then sit back and smile. It's 2019 in your computer now.

Well Bill if you check with the members here they will all tell you how much I love the Windows 8 series <sarcasm>.
Since you are here to learn download the two KB's listed below (make sure you always grab the right version). Use your favorite search engine and use the link that sends you to Microsoft's site.
Choose" Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems" for KB3173424.
KB3172614 is a one size fits all update
you need start your PC totally disconnected from internet (to avoid Windows Update service connect to Microsoft Servers) and then install these updates manually....

KB3173424 (pre-requisite).
KB3172614 (contains the Windows Update client that's holding up downloads).

once both updates are installed, you can connect to internet again, and Windows Update should start to work normally again.

That being said why don't you just update to Windows 10? It's painless and you will thank me 100 times over. I feel like crying after dealing with Windows 8.x. Just search for Windows 10 upgrade and go to the Microsoft link, follow the instructions then sit back and smile. It's 2019 in your computer now.
took your advice and now running win10 pro.sooo much better and easier to use.thank you very much dvd_dog.

indeed, the only reason to not use windows 10 now is if you are absolutely broke

indeed, the only reason to not use windows 10 now is if you are absolutely broke
after DVD_DOGs advice i went and bought acopy of winn 10 pro. it went on so easy and started to update straight away.but i am having a major problem getting it to recognize one of my 2 hard drives.i went into the bios and in the main screen it shows only 1 hard drive and the cd drive.but if i go into the boot screen it shows both the drives.i put windows10 on both drives so i could have a backup drive just in case.now i dont know what to do?i am new to computers and being 67 years old i am a bit behind everyone.but i am willing to learn hopefully wit your help .bill

after DVD_DOGs advice i went and bought acopy of winn 10 pro. it went on so easy and started to update straight away.but i am having a major problem getting it to recognize one of my 2 hard drives.i went into the bios and in the main screen it shows only 1 hard drive and the cd drive.but if i go into the boot screen it shows both the drives.i put windows10 on both drives so i could have a backup drive just in case.now i dont know what to do?i am new to computers and being 67 years old i am a bit behind everyone.but i am willing to learn hopefully wit your help .bill
Hey Bill
I am pretty sure the problem is how the second drive was formatted and that's why Windows won't recognize it as an active drive in Windows Explorer. What you really need to do is access Windows Disk Manager. There are a number of guides out there but for our intents and purposes they have way too much info and will probably confuse you. The wrong move can spell big trouble with this utility. Let me sleep on this and I will come up with a freeware tool or something to fix your problem. That is unless someone else wants to jump in first.

it really isn't necessary to install windows on both hard drives
If you need a backup solution, as when windows crashes for some reason and you can't reboot but need to access your files, you can use a usb version of windows or linux or something else (unix, etc.).
You can also have a 'live' cd or dvd version of linux or even windows, afaik.
There is one product I know of for sure, i think from this forum but sorry I can't remember the name of it, that has a rescue cd with both linux AND windows systems.
But you can use linux 'live cd' or dvd to access your files on your windows system and run your computer basically just the same. If you were to install something to the other hard drive I would suggest linux, such as 'linux mint'.
A popular 'live cd' is 'knoppix'.
As you know now it is very easy to install windows 10 so there is no problem with just wiping the hard drive and starting over. I do this anyway every so often. I'm due for a new install now. Sometimes I feel like windows gets a bit lazy after it has been installed for a while. A fresh install always feels better.
1st rule of data, always have a backup. (quote from the Chronicoms of Marvel's Agents of Shield)

Back