• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Windows 8 Windows RT

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

Jan 6, 2022
Hello world, I have been "underground" for a while and I recently bought a surface RT tablet for university to attempt another degree.

So, fast tracking to now, I have seen information saying that support has been terminated and the device is basically a brick.

Now, I have seen websites stating of a jailbreak.

However, I am not interested in a partial version of windows 10.

Is there a jailbreak that will allow me the freedom to use vlc, Google, proton vpn, chrome, opera, qbitorrent, BlueStacks and any other program that I would decide to download that may support RT?

Also, I welcome all suggestions that doesn't revolve around installing the partial windows 10.

2GB of RAM is a real problem combined with that CPU. A lot of the programs you want to run would like to gobble all that RAM up but that's not really even sufficient to support Windows 10. Even if you could force Windows 10 into that environment, it would be paging all those programs and would run at a snail's pace.
Sorry for the bad news but that's why Surface RT tablets are being sold for next to nothing. Surface tablets are impossible to service as well as I and Thumper have found out in the past. :confused:

Understood, I thought I received a "steal" of a deal when I got it for $51 in a very beautiful condition.

On the other hand, can it be used to download and watch videos such as tv shows or movies if I ever decide to? If so, which file formats and which programs would be best? And to execute the playback of music files?

Mainly I'll use it for my office documents, but I would like a little bit of entertainment intertwined Into it's use.

Also is there a browser you'd recommend?

I'm asking these questions because currently it's in transit to me.

Your response is much appreciated.

P.S. It's a must that Microsoft must pay for this unholy act of betrayal.

Last edited:
Use VLC for video. You do have 32GB of which like 15GB is available, a micro SD slot (Micro Center has really cheap memory cards, Amazon isn't bad either). Your screen max res is 720p, VLC will play darn near any format, not sure how much compression of video your CPU can handle, that will be the limiting factor. You really just need to find good old fat rips, video file size isn't that big of a deal, if you have to you can use a sneaker net to transfer files via USB. So for 51 bucks it's OK.
Be careful of the power supply, it's expensive to replace. Forget changing the battery, I doubt it's possible although ifixit may prove me wrong.

So last questions, do I need to jailbreak it?
And if jailbreak is needed, could you recommend a stable version?

THE MOST, if that's applicable.

Is there a browser I can use, other than the old internet explorer?

Can I download torrents with it?

Last edited:
So last questions, do I need to jailbreak it?
And if jailbreak is needed, could you recommend a stable version?

THE MOST, if that's applicable.

Is there a browser I can use, other than the old internet explorer?

Can I download torrents with it?
Why would you jailbreak it? The system is stable the way it is. Not sure but I guess you could torrent as long as you used either an external drive or a microSD card as your working drive, save the internal SSD for important things, use vpn with a client that uses WireGuard protocol, it needs the least overhead. What you need to keep in mind, is forget about multitasking, you just don't have the resources.
I have an Acer Switch 10, Atom x5-Z8300 1.44GHz, 2GB RAM. I am running Win 10 Pro 64bit. It runs OK but all I do is surf and read emails with it, it struggles with YouTube and wouldn't dare try video. My current job is with the network/hardware side of a major DaaS, Unified VOIP provider. Unfortunately this Acer wouldn't do well even in that environment, even though HiPro systems aren't very relevant in that environment.
So anyway you may be able to shoehorn 10 on your tablet, but what do you expect to be better? I don't know what the setup is at the school you are attending, but I am not sure your admin will grant access to an outdated Win 8 RT system. Unfortunately Microsoft only ported Windows 8 to the ARM processor on your tablet so forget running most Windows software outside of what Microsoft had ported for the exclusive use of that tablet.

Initially I questioned jailbreaking because, the information circulating online states that the device is locked somewhat like apple and the store can't be accessed as there is no longer support. The information further indicates that no programs outside of the store applications could be installed as a security feature is enable by Microsoft to prevent such.

Jailbreak resonated within my mind for the simple fact of "freedom".

However, you have more in depth experience with this device than I do, and apparently the information circulating, so I'll take yours.

I'd most likely travel with a mobile hotspot than to connect to their networks on my device.

Backtracking, is the browser that natively reside on the system compatible with most websites in 2022?

The good news is most browser these days are html5 compatible which is what you are looking for. They are all based on the mostly webkit (aka Chromium) or Mozilla (Firefox). I guess you are up against the wall, I suspect IE (now obsolete) is native to your system. Now that I am thinking about it, you should go over to Portable Apps and see what you might like over there, they all run from a USB stick. Particularly think about Revo portable to clean out unused programs. Ccleaner will free up any temp files as well as manage startup programs to get your system as lean and mean as possible while still retaining any functionality you need.

Mhm, the portable idea is pretty good.

Thank you, I will play around with it once I get it. I'm sure I haven't lost that much skill over the last few years as I switched areas of expertise and now I'm seeking to expand.

I thought I received word that CCleaner became an epic fail once it was bought out?

Thanks again.

Well I had a chance to do some more research on your specific system out of curiosity. With a locked bootloader and an ARM processor which uses a whole different instruction set than and x86-64 your choices are rather limited. It's not going to be like jailbreaking a phone or Android tablet. There is no magic unlocking program that will open up the world of Windows for you, there are just too many limitations. Add to that Microsoft has locked down that system pretty thoroughly, reminds me of a Verizon Samsung Android phone or tablet, they were almost as bad.
XDA has a sub that focuses on hacking your system but be aware you are entering the realm of a hobbyist system and reliability is going to be hit or miss.
Windows RT Development and Hacking forum at XDA
Give those folks at XDA a visit. I am always astounded on the brilliant minds that hang out in those forums.
Sorry I wish I could give you better news. I don't know where your finances stand but I tend to find projects like these a good learning experience and fun on those days when you can't get outside.

Also, IE is really THE ONLY browser you have, which is outdated Trident. The few old browsers in the store are pretty useless, and you cannot install Chrome or Firefox.

I would have been even happy if there was a Legacy port of the original Edge browser. Alas, your choice are either the deskyop or Metro Internet Explorer 11 browsers, and that's it!

Back