• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Windows Update blow Outlook Search

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

markcei

Jan 11, 2022
Hi guys!

There's a recent update from microsoft that affected Microsoft Outlook Search options. Users cant search anything as if it is not working.

I have tried couple of workarounds but it still the same. I feel like I've done everything already and I am just waiting for microsoft to fix this.

Do you guys know about this?

Give me feedback!!

Thank you!!!!!!

Hi guys!

There's a recent update from microsoft that affected Microsoft Outlook Search options. Users cant search anything as if it is not working.

I have tried couple of workarounds but it still the same. I feel like I've done everything already and I am just waiting for microsoft to fix this.

Do you guys know about this?

Give me feedback!!

Thank you!!!!!!

Hi, I found out that two clients with Microsoft have same problem, i haven't found any solution yet... Please reply in this thread when you found a way to fix it. Thank you!

I found a workaround but this is on a daily basis.

I restart the windows search service, close and open outlook. Indexing will be back to normal and will be able to use the search function. But this is temporary. When the user restarts the computer, the same issue will occur and I need to do this method all over again. So I advised end-users not to restart the computer for a few more days.

Also, The issue has happened after installing a security update from Windows (December 14, 2021—KB5008212). You can remove this update and restart the computer, open outlook, and see if the search function will work properly. But this does not work for everyone else.

Rebuilding the index doesn't work for me as well as repairing the Microsoft office, repairing the ost/pst file, recreating the profile don't work also.

Also, I tried the temporary method below but this is not really applicable to outlook with big ost file size as the search function is tooooooooo sloooooow.
  1. In Windows, right-click Start, and then select Run. In the Open: box type regedit and then click OK. This will open the registry editor.
  2. Find this subkey in the registry and then click it:
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows
  3. Click Edit > New > Key, and name the new key Windows Search.
  4. Select the new Windows Search key.
  5. Click Edit > New > DWORD Value.
  6. Type PreventIndexingOutlook for the name of the DWORD, and then press Enter.
  7. Right-click PreventIndexingOutlook, and then click Modify.
  8. In the Value data box, type 1 to enable the registry entry, and then click OK.
  9. Exit Registry Editor, and then restart Outlook.
Windows acknowledge this issue already but there is still no fix for this issue. Almost 40% of our users are having issue now and its a pain in the ass to handle this every day.

Please give feedback if you found a solution for this.

Wow. Here's an issue that's almost a month old and M/S is "Still Investigating"? Ouch!
I have always had a problem with those massive OST files. Housekeeping doesn't exist and users always respond, "You never know when I will need that" .
Email databases are always a ticking timebomb waiting to go off. People keep their accounting records, sales orders, tax info all buried into those files. I try to explain that perhaps an Outlook file is the worst place to archive valuable info, but user laziness always seems to prevail.
This must be one big mess up, but given the nature of data structure in Outlook OST files I can see how it wouldn't be that hard to bury some nasties in them waiting for the proper time hence the security precautions of the update.
But don't forget. "You never know when I may need that". Good luck!

Back