• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Windows Update deleted my Linux partition?

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

Williamm

Jun 27, 2020
Hello.
I use a Lenovo laptop where I had W10 and Ubuntu on different partitions. It would let me choose between W10 and Linux upon startup and would boot into Linux by default.

After a long update last night, my PC boots directly into Windows (no more bootloader screen). I still see the 60GB partition as "primary partition" but I can't manage to boot into Linux anymore. tik tok music

The laptop is almost new, and neither of the OS were presenting malfunctions.

I tried restoring to the previos Windows update and it didn't work, and sadly I didn't have a system restore point.

Is there anything I can do? How can something like this be so arbitrary?
download ringtone: https://downloadringtonesfree.mobi/

Last edited:
I read a report recently that a major update (2004?) cleans up after itself a little too well taking out some important stuff. You may have been a victim of that.
Let me hunt around tomorrow morning and see what I Can find.
I’ll add it on as an edit to this thread.

after doing the multiboot thing i've decided to just use linux from a removable drive
usb 3.0 is more than fast enough and you can use an SSD in a drive enclosure for speeds equal to anything possible inside the computer, even the M.2 type (there are drive enclosures for this as well)
my comp is 1 ssd 1 dvd 4 hdd (windows stripe - faster game loads)
no room for linux
i could use some of the hdd for it, but really... that would be slower than the usb option, with a stick or ssd
or i could split up the ssd, but what if it fails? then i lose 2 OS at the same time; and i'd need a bigger ssd really, mine is only 120g
you can get a keychain USB 3.x drive to put your linux on
if you put the linux on a separate hard drive or internal drive then you can use the bios to choose the boot option rather than relying on 'grub'

also, there are versions of linux that can install on the same drive/partition as windows, i think you run them from within windows, but not sure; probably some linux loader that can load windows or linux; or both options, pretty much anything you can imagine is being done with linux

Hey there, sorry to hear that you lost your Linux partition after a Windows update. The same thing actually happened to me with my CentOS7 portion a while back. It's frustrating, but luckily there are ways to work around it. As for your situation, it seems like using Linux from a removable drive could be a good option for you. I also want to mention that CentOS 7 has reached the end of its life, but there are extended support options available through companies like TuxCare. Here's a link to their website if you're interested: https://tuxcare.com/extended-lifecycle-support/centos-7-extended-support/. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Back