• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Alternative Firewall Programs?

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

DVDR_Dog

Ultimate Donator
Donator
VIP
Nov 5, 2018
So out of familiarity and laziness up until now I have been exclusively relying on Windows firewall. With Microsoft slowly and almost transparently taking away users ability to manage our security I am thinking it's time to move to a 3rd party program.
I don't have a heck of a lot of knowledge with 3rd party personal firewalls and I am reluctant to include a commercial hardware based firewall. I deploy hardware-based firewall (Cisco) in commercial customer nerworks. Many times hardware based solutions create more problems than they solve even though they provide Fort Knox class security. I am not going to use my A/V based firewalls, they already have a job to do and I don't need a program overlapping on it's duties.
I am going to install Glasswire since I have read some pretty good things about it. Anybody mambers can be of help here?

So out of familiarity and laziness up until now I have been exclusively relying on Windows firewall. With Microsoft slowly and almost transparently taking away users ability to manage our security I am thinking it's time to move to a 3rd party program.
I don't have a heck of a lot of knowledge with 3rd party personal firewalls and I am reluctant to include a commercial hardware based firewall. I deploy hardware-based firewall (Cisco) in commercial customer nerworks. Many times hardware based solutions create more problems than they solve even though they provide Fort Knox class security. I am not going to use my A/V based firewalls, they already have a job to do and I don't need a program overlapping on it's duties.
I am going to install Glasswire since I have read some pretty good things about it. Anybody mambers can be of help here?

Some friends use Comodo Firewall for years, i use windows firewall.

I hear you guys about the default firewall. I just am having a hard time trusting Microsoft any more. The shenanigans they are trying to pull off with defender are really shady. I couldn't help notice the instructions posted on defender renmoval in this forum aren't accurate anymore at least in my installation. Microsoft has moved arould locations and renamed files and folders of defender. I don't like it and being under the same umbrella, i doubt Windows firewall is exempt from the current hide and seek, reporting back to Microsoft and jumping on anything defender might remotely think is a crack and obviosly not a virus. Keep your eyes open members. Microsoft has been playing games lately to the point Gates came back and told them to knock it off a few years ago. Remember the idea the new CEO had on making Windows subscription based?

Just an update. I have been kicking the tires on Glasswire Firewall for a week now. Pretty darn cool prgram. So far I like what I see. Give it a try if you are curious.

I hear you guys about the default firewall. I just am having a hard time trusting Microsoft any more. The shenanigans they are trying to pull off with defender are really shady. I couldn't help notice the instructions posted on defender renmoval in this forum aren't accurate anymore at least in my installation. Microsoft has moved arould locations and renamed files and folders of defender. I don't like it and being under the same umbrella, i doubt Windows firewall is exempt from the current hide and seek, reporting back to Microsoft and jumping on anything defender might remotely think is a crack and obviosly not a virus. Keep your eyes open members. Microsoft has been playing games lately to the point Gates came back and told them to knock it off a few years ago. Remember the idea the new CEO had on making Windows subscription based?
Exclude the folders and the problem is solved.

Exclude the folders and the problem is solved.
That used to work but it seems defender is getting better at sniffing out signatures of common cracks throughout your entire system regardless of settings. Microsoft now claims defender is now integrated into Windows and Widows needs it intact to function. When exactly did that take place. I remember digging that out of a MSDS forum a while back. I still contend you can slow it down, but it still will call home and do it's best to prevent cracked or patched software.

I was just looking at the projects the good folks over at sogum.org have been working on trying to tame defender. Microsoft changes up the GUI, renames fies, move folder locations and registry locations regularly just to prevent any user control whatsoever. You have to think at some point the honest folks over in the EU are going to pull the plug on Microsoft Defender's fun and games club. US politicians are too busy accepting campain donations from Microsoft or it's subsidiaries to bother with such items as personal freedoms, both US political parties are just as bad.

I don't know, I almost installed Win 11 22631.2115 My Defender Control works fine against Defender. And this is 2 Firewall I love the most. FreeFirewall work great on Server Insider too.
2023-08-06 09_34_30-Window.png

Back