• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Controversial Topic Here. See what you think.

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

DVDR_Dog

Ultimate Donator
Donator
VIP
Nov 5, 2018
USENET
For some of our members it's a dirty word. Me? I have been using it on and off for decades. It does require a little bit of homework to make it work for you. While it's not the best source for bleeding edge zero day releases, some servers retain binary posts for 10 years. A great source for movies and TV programs with many different language subs. Personally I only will download open source programs from the Usenet, but prefer private torrents even for those programs.
1337x should always be your source for anything .exe and the like. 1337x offers you a double insurance policy, the posts are vetted AND downloader comments verify the validity of the posts. The Usenet has sketchy commenting at best.
Each resource has it's pros and cons. What comes off the Usenet is instant, usually full speed (depends on the service you subscribe to.). The Usenet client requires a little knowledge to configure. The biggest con is the Usenet servers require a subscription. My current provider has a retention of 5,000+ days of posts, allows 100 simultaneous connections and has servers in the US and EU and allows unlimited downloads (I run about 10TB or more/month). I left my former server provider because my CC provider kept balking at the name of the provider (no shit!). I pay $29.99/yr recurring for my current service. Another great feature is that DMCA notices are served on the providers and they take down the posts, that's it.

So if you care to learn, read more at Nero's Black Book

I will be more than happy to answer any questions in regards to this topic. After all my handle has it roots in the Usenet. I authored the charter for a.b.dvdrw which unfortunately turned into junk since I left 16 years ago.

Let me brag a bit then....

Usenet -> I mailed all groups in a large nntp server and was able to get my spam message into a fishing group that feature the results on the front page of Yahoo for fishing (when Yahoo homepage had semi-automatic news obtainer).

USENET--was fun once for old nostalgia items...
QUESTION for Thumper or who else might know: After I read this thread I scrolled down to section below Similar Threads. ALL the old threads display in a mangled form, one letter per line in long unbroken chains.
What pray tell is going on? old threads.jpg

That's pretty cool philalethes. Must be some sort of extension you have loaded in your browser. Works the way it's supposed to with Chrome loaded to the gills with adblockers and a/v shields on my system(s).

USENET--was fun once for old nostalgia items...
QUESTION for Thumper or who else might know: After I read this thread I scrolled down to section below Similar Threads. ALL the old threads display in a mangled form, one letter per line in long unbroken chains.
What pray tell is going on? View attachment 5774

Hi,

Is that mobile device? what browser is that?

Thank you!

Not mobile. Turns out to be screen res...but even that is quirky. I use Firefox.
I sit 8 ft away from my TV 32" screen so I can 'compute' from my couch. To see text I set res at 1280x720. I can switch between two computers.

On old Win7 laptop, Chrome displays text fine at 1366 (max res for that system), but not FF.

On my newer Win 10 neither FF nor Chrome display properly at 1270 or 1366, only at 1920!

It wasn't an extension either, as I started FF in Safe mode to test, no extensions loaded.

Oh well, now I know; can work around it.

Back