• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

ERROR 401 UNAUTHORIZED

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

Travelinman

Jan 20, 2023
On one workstation at my place of business we are unable to access a website we use all the time. I have tried to login using 3 different browsers, Edge, Firefox, and Brave. With all 3 after entering username and password I receive, "ERROR 401 UNAUTHORIZED" in all 3 browsers. I have cleared all cache and cookies in all 3. I have flushed DNS several times. I know the username and password are good because if I go to any other workstation I can login with no problems. Any suggestions would be welcome.

You can try logging in with a https instead. Some things I set up will not allow a http request. Check the hosts file if that doesn’t work, see if anything unusual is blacklisted. I would then run an antivirus, anti malware program to see what’s what. More than likely wherever you are trying to connect to is seeing something they aren’t happy about. You might send an email to the site’s admin if all else fails. It’s their security that doesn’t love you.

Just another thought from my own experience: Try logging in with for example Google chrome "Incognito", that bypasses all extensions ands see if that works.

This ad business has become a cat and mouse game. There seems to be a browser extension war going on. I understand both sides, the host has to pay the bills, but sheez! there are so many ads popping up on many sites that render them unusable. Google laying off 12K workers because of decreasing ad revenue. I imagine that has to do with the popularity of ad-blockers which makes site owners unhappy. There needs to be a happy medium

Last edited:
Have you changed your ipv6 in the adapter if so try turning it off and try login agaiin. I would try turning it off = uncheck it then try again

Then try ipv6 to auto obtain the IPV6 data sets in most cases Auto Obtain is the best option.... :)

Last edited:
Simple suggestion - do you use or have access to a CDN/Proxy? Have you tried from a different country?
You seem knowledgeable, have you looked into the network tab to see if there is a clear bottleneck/point of failure?

Back