• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Failure configuring Win Updates, Reverting changes Error 80070661

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

Buster Friendly

May 5, 2022
Does anybody know this error?

It seems to be a general error code.... but it's a really annoying error.

That's just it, it's just a general I'm not gonna let you do that error. Do the update logs give you any clue?

That's just it, it's just a general I'm not gonna let you do that error. Do the update logs give you any clue?
Nope. that's the problem.
it's an annoying thing, I have to update an old Win7 embedded standard, the customer thinks it's an easy way to update....

"No, it's not THAT easy." :rolleyes:
I started again but now with all updates Win7 Embedded can get.
I'm curious what will happen when I get to those updates they want.

Try this. Open CMD as ADMIN and copy paste these commands press Enter after each command than restart:
Net Stop bits
Net Stop wuauserv
Net Stop appidsvc
Net Stop cryptsvc
Ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.bak
Ren %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.bak
Net Start bits
Net Start wuauserv
Net Start appidsvc
Net Start cryptsvc

there is a script and windows patch for that. but being embedded might not work or allow to change, windows 7 update server is down could be also the reason. the wont support it. so good luck, i would concentrate up updating to 8.1 or 10.

there is a script and windows patch for that. but being embedded might not work or allow to change, windows 7 update server is down could be also the reason. the wont support it. so good luck, i would concentrate up updating to 8.1 or 10.
well, as I said, it's not a "private machine", it's a machine from a customer.

So I have to do those updates and I have to solve it. I can't just update to another OS.

Back