• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Getting BSODs

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

nicosalva

Jul 13, 2023
Hello,

I've been getting BSODs for months now and I can't find a clear pattern. The error message I get is not always the same, I've read at least 10 different ones (the most common one being IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL). At first this happened every week or two but now it got much worse, it's happenning around 3 times a day on average.

I've checked my hardware parts are correctly attached and they apparently are. My computer is less than three years old, these are the specs:

Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Elite

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600

GPU: GeForce GTX 1660 Super

RAM: 2x Kingston HyperX 8gb 3200MHz

Boot drive: (SSD) WD Green 128GB

Secondary drives: (HDD) SeaGate Barracuda 2TB, (HDD) Samsung HD502HJ 512GB

Peripherals: PS2 keyboard, Logitech G203 mouse, 2x Samsung LF24T35, Logitech G533 headphones

Yesterday I formatted my drive and installed a fresh copy of W11 (I had W10 before) and the problem persists. GPU drivers were installed correctly.

What's weird is this does NOT happen when playing certain games, if not all of them. I've played hundreds of hours of games without a single BSOD. Yet it does happen while doing simple stuff such as using Office software, using Chrome and even when the computer is idle.

Here's a link to the dumps generated on the BSOD I got today, the first one since I installed the fresh copy of W11: https://www.mediafire.com/file/foj2hrx3yz73suy/071323-7843-01.dmp/file

I'm clear this may be a hardware issue, but I'd like to make sure it's not any other thing. And if it were a hardware issue, how can I find out which part I'm supposed to get fixed or replaced? One important thing to mention is I live in Argentina where it's hard to return hardware to their manufacturers.

Thanks in advance.

Nicolás

Well.. I had a look at your dump file. One question, is there a particular event or chain of events that cause the crash? I don't think it's a hardware failure, just the inability for drivers to coexist in mapped memory. I am always the first one to jump on graphics drivers but it doesn't appear to be the case. It's even possible it could be a program which is why I asked the chain of events.
My best guess? Those Logitech wireless headphones show up in this file too many times for comfort. Discord may also be writing into protected memory. I could be dead wrong. If I knew what circumstances lead to those blue screens it would help a lot.

Well.. I had a look at your dump file. One question, is there a particular event or chain of events that cause the crash? I don't think it's a hardware failure, just the inability for drivers to coexist in mapped memory. I am always the first one to jump on graphics drivers but it doesn't appear to be the case. It's even possible it could be a program which is why I asked the chain of events.
My best guess? Those Logitech wireless headphones show up in this file too many times for comfort. Discord may also be writing into protected memory. I could be dead wrong. If I knew what circumstances lead to those blue screens it would help a lot.

All I can tell is it feels like it's related to graphics. When playing games things go well.

I can tell the Logitech headphones aren't the cause because I bought them after the BSODs started. But the Logitech mouse, I've had it for a while so I just swapped it out.

I also use Discord a lot so yea that may be it too.

What's weird is it still happens after I formatted my computer and barely installed any programs...

I'll keep you updated.

Thanks

Update:

I just installed a fresh copy of Windows 11. Windows installed Nvidia drivers and Realtek audio drivers on its own. I only installed Chrome.

Already got 2 BSODs in the first hour.

I wanna die.

Update:

I just installed a fresh copy of Windows 11. Windows installed Nvidia drivers and Realtek audio drivers on its own. I only installed Chrome.

Already got 2 BSODs in the first hour.

I wanna die.
If you haven't done a RAM test I would do it. It takes a very long time to run but will let you know if a bad stick of RAM is causing your BSODs. The reason I'm suggesting doing a RAM test is that you said you're getting various errors. Normally if a component is going out the BSOD errors will if not be the same every time but lead in the same direction every time. This article will show you how to do The Windows RAM test.

You can use some live Linux like Mint. Boot it with USB flash or disk i see and see how the system behaves then. Updating the BIOS if you not. Memory is better test live like this.
2023-07-19 14_44_25-Q-Dir 11.29.png

ill Gates just wants to keep you in your Sherlocke Holmes mindset. This is why so many people who attend NLP seminars buy new cars instead of changing their oil. Did you figure it out yet? Or is it basically hopeless like my 2011 Macbook Pro?

Back