• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

iTunes (latest) Apple Music changes?

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

DVDR_Dog

Ultimate Donator
Donator
VIP
Nov 5, 2018
So I have this friend that I do some Apple repairs for. He's been complaining that he can no longer drag and drop music files to his iPhone and he could before.
I loaded iTunes for Windows latest version which is functionally the same or so I am told and I see what he means. The only way I can get the darn thing is to add the file first to the playlist on the host machine and resync the entire list. (I am using a iPod. No way am I joining the iPhone cult. Too much $$$ to start with). So it looks like this might be another way Apple is forcing users to back their stuff up. That's all I can figure.
I also take it this same rule applies to current OS X systems but this is a Windows forum. Forget trying to get a straight answer in Apple forums. They are a trip in themselves. I am not going to play this game on my MacBooks unless I have to.
If any member knows some way of working around this new rule, let me know. In fact if you could show me how I would be mucho appreciative. This guy is bugging the crap out of me. That's what you get for fixing Apple stuff. No good dead goes unpunished. He is a very old friend.
All I have to say my current Android phone running v.10 doesn't play these games and never has.

So I have this friend that I do some Apple repairs for. He's been complaining that he can no longer drag and drop music files to his iPhone and he could before.
I loaded iTunes for Windows latest version which is functionally the same or so I am told and I see what he means. The only way I can get the darn thing is to add the file first to the playlist on the host machine and resync the entire list. (I am using a iPod. No way am I joining the iPhone cult. Too much $$$ to start with). So it looks like this might be another way Apple is forcing users to back their stuff up. That's all I can figure.
I also take it this same rule applies to current OS X systems but this is a Windows forum. Forget trying to get a straight answer in Apple forums. They are a trip in themselves. I am not going to play this game on my MacBooks unless I have to.
If any member knows some way of working around this new rule, let me know. In fact if you could show me how I would be mucho appreciative. This guy is bugging the crap out of me. That's what you get for fixing Apple stuff. No good dead goes unpunished. He is a very old friend.
All I have to say my current Android phone running v.10 doesn't play these games and never has.

http://www.3u.com/ is lifesaver, drag and drope anything you like :D

http://www.3u.com/ is lifesaver, drag and drope anything you like :D
Awesome T! Thanks.

Kinda bizarre. My precious Webroot went nuts when I ran this program. Virus total shows AOK other than Webroot. I don't get that at all. Webroot is usually so quiet. Obviously someone at Webroot has a hard on for this program. Them (employee of Webroot, not th3m :)), friend, wife, etc. must be an author of a commercial program that 3U competes with? To be honest, Webroot would be the last A/V I would expect to pull a kind of stunt like this. :mad:

Last edited:
I don't have any problems transferring songs to my device with iTunes. Using the manual way. Putting them first to the iTunes Library (drag n drop from hdd) and then from iTunes Library to iPod drag n drop.

Here are my settings.
sshot-001.png

Nothing fancy.

Make sure that the songs have no DRM protection, right click -> properties -> details -> protected tab should be "No"
and they have the right supported format, .m4a .flac .mp3 (are the most common).

Through iTunes you can also transfer songs from the "File Sharing" tab choosing a folder made by a compatible third party app that can play audio files, like VLC.

or use a third party tool like Thumper suggested, but i would avoid unless necessary. The less parties the better ;)

Me thinks you still have an old version of iTunes th3m. It looks like they will no longer allow file by file transfer with their software. Stuff you buy from Apple Music may be an exception but do you know anyone who does that? ;)
Apple is playing the daddy knows best card with their owners. It ensures a back-up of their music catalog via your playlists. The best I could accomplish with the latest iTunes I installed this morning is to sync entire playlists.
The owner in question was left with music on his iPhone but no where else b/c of a HD failure on his MacBook Air.
I guess he had an older version of OS X that had iTunes and he says would have allowed him to move the music off his iPhone. His repaired system with a fresh install of Mojave he insists will no longer allow this so I played dumb. I fixed his system for free and he bought the new HD which by the way is another screwed up Apple story. So he has spent hours on the phone with Apple trying to fix his problem. I mean lots of hours. He is a typical vindictive Apple user I'll leave it at that.
The Apple geniuses were trying to come up with all kinds of wacky fixes including somehow using Dropbox, none worked. I offered to downgrade his OS X to whatever he was using before the failure but I have a sneaky suspicion that Apple diddled with those old images and updated iTunes to their current liking, that's how Apple rolls. He refused, good thing.
So here I am, glad as all get out I don't have to deal with OS X on a daily basis. I think this issue is solved and he can save his GD music although why didn't he have a copy saved somewhere? You don't ask Apple users questions like that. That is why Apple had to come up with this new iPhone music interface to force back ups and be sneaky about it. Unfortunately they forgot about circumstances like my user is in.
I have a 15" Pro and a 13" Air both i7 and pretty current. If I can find room I have a iMac I am setting up next week and bringing home. I view them all as play toys for OS X research and leave the serious computing to my Windows boxes.

I know that iPhones are not easy to manage with advanced things like Android can do. But music is not a problem for me.
I sync locally just to keep an encrypted backup, i dont use icloud and i think i am running the latest iTunes on Win10.

sshot-001.png

don't know, i can record a desktop session if you want to show you how i do it. but really i think it is simple and no tricks evolved.
iTunes functionality feels the same, apart that there is no App Store anymore (sadly).

The sync is the key. You also know the logical order to devise, organize and upload lists.
We are talking Apple user here. They are an entirely different breed. Momma taught me if you didn't have something nice to say then say nothing. You are also assuming that someone would take a logical progression of music management. Ain't happening in this case. They were doing things ass-backwards and Apple plugged that hole so to speak. Now they are crying bloody murder that they are forced to do things the correct way instead of the "way that worked" for them. Welcome to Apple land. It's the reason I only work on Apples for my boss and friends. I don't need the headache of dealing with the users.
As I said earlier, this guy has spent hours on the phone with Apple for not much more than proving his point. Dayum. Could you imagine dealing with that 8 hours/day? I'd shoot myself or develop a nasty drug habit.

UPDATE:
So I download the "latest" version of iTunes for Windows from a trusted 3rd party (filehippo).
I go to run the program it loads OK.
THEN I plug in my iPod. Immediately I get this pop up warning me that I didn't download iTunes from the Microsoft Store and it won't work. I need to go to M/S store and download that version. So I have to sign in to my M/S acct to download iTunes from M/S.
Oh I get it. I remember what Steve Jobs said about Apple charging for upgrades to the iPod. (He said no way to make money from that.) So it appears M/S has joined forces with Apple to brand your iTunes install in order to capitalise from it. It's all about the iPhone these days and M/S has given up trying to sell into that market.
Greasy SOBs

UPDATE:
So I download the "latest" version of iTunes for Windows from a trusted 3rd party (filehippo).
I go to run the program it loads OK.
THEN I plug in my iPod. Immediately I get this pop up warning me that I didn't download iTunes from the Microsoft Store and it won't work. I need to go to M/S store and download that version. So I have to sign in to my M/S acct to download iTunes from M/S.
Oh I get it. I remember what Steve Jobs said about Apple charging for upgrades to the iPod. (He said no way to make money from that.) So it appears M/S has joined forces with Apple to brand your iTunes install in order to capitalise from it. It's all about the iPhone these days and M/S has given up trying to sell into that market.
Greasy SOBs

I hate when i need to sign in in order to download something from Microsoft Store.

I hate when i need to sign in in order to download something from Microsoft Store.
Microsoft is trying to own you. That's the name of the game these days.
Best defence? A VPN, good browser security programs and a batch of toss out emails that you set up in a web. E.G. Use one toss out email account to create another. If you have multiple O/S systems all the better. Mess with their heads so they will never figure it out.
It's war these days but you can win.

Wait, you don't need to sign in to download-install free apps from Microsoft Store.
And i understand the hate, but actually Microsoft Store Apps come fully sandboxed. I would run any app if had the choice installed from the Microsoft Store for the extra security.

Also you can get iTunes directly from apple's website. Its kinda tricky, look for:
"Looking for other versions? macOS Windows" at the bottom of the page and click on "Windows".

Here is the direct link: https://www.apple.com/itunes/download/win64

UPDATE:

Ok, so like I know this is the most ridiculous place to warn anyone about anything... but, really... you consider FileHippo to be a TRUSTED 3rd party? No way!!

I've seen them add EXE shims... and CNET is worse...

So, now for the silly statement -- skip 3rd parties, and 2nd parties... download stuff DIRECTLY from the 1st parties.

: )

iTunes, for instance, has direct download links... JD has them: https://www.jdhodges.com/blog/itunes-windows-direct-download-links/

Wait, you don't need to sign in to download-install free apps from Microsoft Store.
And i understand the hate, but actually Microsoft Store Apps come fully sandboxed. I would run any app if had the choice installed from the Microsoft Store for the extra security.

Also you can get iTunes directly from apple's website. Its kinda tricky, look for:
"Looking for other versions? macOS Windows" at the bottom of the page and click on "Windows".

Here is the direct link: https://www.apple.com/itunes/download/win64
Have you tried to download from the Microsoft Store lately? I disagree 100%.
Give it a try. They try to give you some BS about security or something but if you don't log in, no download. Didn't you know Satya is trying to be the Steve Jobs of M/S and milk every penny out of every user he can just to make the shareholders happy?

Have you tried to download from the Microsoft Store lately? I disagree 100%.
Give it a try. They try to give you some BS about security or something but if you don't log in, no download. Didn't you know Satya is trying to be the Steve Jobs of M/S and milk every penny out of every user he can just to make the shareholders happy?

That's why i recommend to not connect to the internet when you install Windows 10.
This way you are setting up a Local Account. And besides the privacy benefits you are getting from it, services like Microsoft Store lets you download free apps without the need to sign in.

I agree about the milking though..

That's why i recommend to not connect to the internet when you install Windows 10.
This way you are setting up a Local Account. And besides the privacy benefits you are getting from it, services like Microsoft Store lets you download free apps without the need to sign in.

I agree about the milking though..
[/QUOTE
Stop by the. Microsoft store. I have never ever set up a computer w/o a local account. They want your info. BTW If you download iTunes from ANY source other than the M/S store you will get some kind of BS about needing the current M/S drivers from you guessed it, the store.
This is something brand new as Satya continues to try to own as much as he can about you for resale. Looks like the Steve Jobs wannabe has jumped. Into bed with Apple while he was at it.
EDIT:
I was out hiking tonight and was thinking how much things have been happening behind the scenes as far as erosion of privacy lately. Normally our friends in Europe have been keeping Internet privacy intact thank goodness. It seems like now that all attention have been focused on the pandemic some companies have taken advantage and slipped some things through the cracks. Kind of scary but profit seems to be king lately.

Last edited:
Ok, so like I know this is the most ridiculous place to warn anyone about anything... but, really... you consider FileHippo to be a TRUSTED 3rd party? No way!!

I've seen them add EXE shims... and CNET is worse...

So, now for the silly statement -- skip 3rd parties, and 2nd parties... download stuff DIRECTLY from the 1st parties.

: )

iTunes, for instance, has direct download links... JD has them: https://www.jdhodges.com/blog/itunes-windows-direct-download-links/
Those iTunes links are very old and obsolete. That's the problem even the current links still require an "upgrade" for Windows 10.

Back