• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

July and August Windows Updates Blocking Flash Completely

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

Jody Thornton

Jul 29, 2021
As of July 2021, all of the new security only updates for Server 2012 (including KB5004294 and KB5004960) now will remove the Adobe Flash Component from Windows 8.1. (Full disclosure - I use the original Windows 8 with Server 2012 updates from the Microsoft Catalog, but it's the same difference)

I enjoy playing some locally run flash games like YetiSports, so this is a deal breaker for me. I wondered one of two things, regarding the latest Windows update:

• has anyone installed it, yet been able to get third party ActiveX Flash installations to work? I only want to run locally installed Flash content, outside of a browser.
  • is it yet known whether or not Flash removal will be part of the August security-only updates?
I’m holding off updating until I have a sure answer.

YetiSports - I haven't heard of them for a while :)

How can I play Adobe Flash games in the post-Flash world?
1. Use OperaGX
2. Check out Flashpoint - https://bluemaxima.org/flashpoint/downloads/

Note: If i'm not wrong you can download official flash compiler and compile the flash game into a executable.

Try the Ruffle Flash Emulator browser extension.
A good instructional video

Keep in mind that this is an emulator. There is still active development happening with this project so if a particular site isn't working, build revisions may fix that so keep checking back.
Bottom line is the latest builds of Windows 10 have completely banned Flash Player (for good reason and I say RIP) but if you gotta have it this emulator may help.

Yeah Ruffle and Flashpoint seem interesting, but with a lot of overhead (.NET and Visual C++), and I'm only looking to run locally installed flash files and executable flash games. So website compatibility is not an issue for me.

So if I install this update, and then I try to install an older ActiveX Flash plugin (one that's not timebomed), is that also disallowed to run?

I don't think so. Flash has been blocked period. You are going to have to run an emulator to run flash. I use Bluestacks to run Android on my Windows box very successfully. Give that a try.

Last edited:
Here are some articles from Microsoft.com support a couple of them discuss Win 8.1 and flash.

Here are some articles from Microsoft.com support a couple of them discuss Win 8.1 and flash.

Thanks Wonder Woman. I've checked many of these, but I'll review again. I really appreciate the time you took. It appears the August updates remove Flash too.

For now, I'm holding off on updates.

For the record, Flash combined with Active X was pure evil. If you haven't already read my posts I have been ranting about Adobe products and their lack of security for years. Seriously running their programs is like keeping your doors unlocked all night long.
I know I keep saying it but if you see all the time and effort that Adobe puts in to piracy prevention, it's too damn bad they didn't put the same effort into producing a secure product. If they had perhaps some of their products wouldn't have been banned by more than one operating system. What's left of the market share of their products other than Photoshop are quietly being replaced by cheaper more secure software. A great example of how not to run a company or run it into the ground.

Do I understand correctly that the update for October for Server 2012 (KB5006732) and for 8.1 does NOT have the Flash removal component?

Back