• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Missing Turn on fast startup option

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

Jun 5, 2021
I know this is a very simple issue and we can open CMD and type "powercfg /hibernate on" and the things would start working.But this time around after the 21H1 update on 4 June on my HP laptop,Hibernate option is available but "Turn on fast startup" isn`t.Tried everything but nothing worked out for me.Everywhere i see is this CMD solution and nothing else.I even downgraded from 21H1 to 20H1 again but the issue seems to remain again..I need someone to help me on this issue.Thanks in advance!

Hp laptops can be kind of funky with power issues. Not sure why but I see it more than I'd like to. Can you supply the model number? It would really help trying to figure this out. I wouldn't be at all surprised if this is a HP "thing".
Did you happen to check the HP forums? HP owners can be pretty vocal when things go wrong.

Hp laptops can be kind of funky with power issues. Not sure why but I see it more than I'd like to. Can you supply the model number? It would really help trying to figure this out. I wouldn't be at all surprised if this is a HP "thing".
Did you happen to check the HP forums? HP owners can be pretty vocal when things go wrong.
Thanks for the reply.The model number of my laptop is HP Pavilion CS0053CL

I see you visited the HP forums, smart move. It seems the advice you were given is the only solution being offered by Microsoft yet HP remains silent. If the CMD > powercfg /hibernate on doesn't help it's the only solution being offered at the moment.
Just to run down the list of possible problems.
The BIOS was updated 1/2021, F.23 Rev.A. Rarely does a BIOS update fix obvious troubles. Many of us have had problems with laptop touchscreen drivers, make sure you have the latest OEM graphics drivers from the HP site. GOOD LUCK

Yeah as you told me to go to HP forums, i immediately posted the same thing over there.I see that they don`t like to help the customers whose warranty is expired.After reading your comment,i need to ask u something more,yeah i also have the touchscreen driver issue.As soon as i enable the touchscreen,ghost touches start to occur.Is there any solution for this?

Oh yeah and that may be the root of your problems. #1 I have found (as well as other members here) that if you rely on Windows update to install the correct video driver IF you have a touchscreen, it won't most of the time.
I only use Manufacturer vetted drivers and by that I mean whoever built your system (ie. If it's a HP, use drivers from HP for your model). If no driver exists for Windows 10 try the 64 bit Windows 8 or better 8.1 driver, most times that will work just fine. I even go to the extent of not allowing a fresh install of a touchscreen on the Internet until I have loaded the video drivers VIA USB and installed them.
Going to Intel or AMD or Nvidia doesn't help, stick with the OEM.
I have pulled my hair out many times until I realized what was going on. Touch screens are pretty intrusive into an operating system and done wrong they make for all kinds of odd trouble.
In your case, uninstall your graphics, delete the driver and load the HP provided driver. Start with Intel High-Definition (HD) Graphics Driver - Kaby Lake (Windows 10 v1909) and work back from there but this driver should help if not fix everything.

Oh yeah and that may be the root of your problems. #1 I have found (as well as other members here) that if you rely on Windows update to install the correct video driver IF you have a touchscreen, it won't most of the time.
I only use Manufacturer vetted drivers and by that I mean whoever built your system (ie. If it's a HP, use drivers from HP for your model). If no driver exists for Windows 10 try the 64 bit Windows 8 or better 8.1 driver, most times that will work just fine. I even go to the extent of not allowing a fresh install of a touchscreen on the Internet until I have loaded the video drivers VIA USB and installed them.
Going to Intel or AMD or Nvidia doesn't help, stick with the OEM.
I have pulled my hair out many times until I realized what was going on. Touch screens are pretty intrusive into an operating system and done wrong they make for all kinds of odd trouble.
In your case, uninstall your graphics, delete the driver and load the HP provided driver. Start with Intel High-Definition (HD) Graphics Driver - Kaby Lake (Windows 10 v1909) and work back from there but this driver should help if not fix everything.
i installed the old version from HP website (V 1909) but no success.I think there is some issue with the screen.

I secretly hate touch screens, the screens gets all goobered up. I can't stand having to look thru a bunch of gooey fingerprints. It's bad enough when people use hand cream which tends to remove the letters from the keys on a keyboard, but it makes a huge mess if they are using a touch screen.
EDIT: So Roopkanwar it sounds like the old HP laptop has seen better days. Have you run HP diagnostics? Something is amiss with all the odd problems you are having. Physical damage? I am starting to think maybe hard drive or RAM is preventing you from the fast start-up option. Then again my systems run far from perfectly. All those cracks and altered programs not to mention just some programs don't play well together build up and cause havoc.
There's always a fresh install.
Don't get me wrong, you aren't the only one to have this problem but fixing it seems very elusive. Good luck.

Last edited:
Well Roopkanwar my friend were you able to sort your laptop out? It's my experience that HP laptops have some odd problems that sometimes have even more odd solutions.
I'm really curious to see how your making out.

Well Roopkanwar my friend were you able to sort your laptop out? It's my experience that HP laptops have some odd problems that sometimes have even more odd solutions.
Well the problem isn't yet solved dear.Neither the fast startup issue n9r the touchscreen issue.I don't why only i have problems that doesn't have a solution.
But i felt good to see that u have the urge to help me out.Thanks a lot!

Back